Skip to content

Ask an Expert 125cc to 600cc. Death wish? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > 125cc to 600cc. Death wish?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

125cc to 600cc. Death wish?

Hello

I've been riding my existing bike for over 6 years and have done nearly 30k miles. I wanted to get a larger bike. I've passed my A2 test and now want to get something larger. Have looked and sat on a NC700s DCT but haven't ridden (due to the restriction). Is it a wise idea to jump?
Thanks in advance :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 July 2012 19:40)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

well

i hope not. I'm looking to make a similar sized jump within the next month after a year on a 125.

Reply to this Topic
smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

Sigh

Well thats a relief that there's someone in the same predicament :smile. All I've heard is that the throttle is sensitive and that all my mates say "I will die" *sigh*

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

Well

I've recently test ridden a bonneville and a street triple and managed to handle them okay. My view is that I'll get to know the new bike slowly and know that with my inexperience it'll take miles and miles before I get close to exploiting the full potential of my next bike.

Reply to this Topic
meatbaws

Jun 11

meatbaws says:

Bigger bike

Bigger bikes are more stable and in my opinion easier to ride....I did my CBT on the standard 125 had a few lessons on the 500's for DAS and went straight on to a Suzuki 750.....death wish don't think so... Just take it easy and get familiar with the bigger bike... Like any bike I suppose...get to know it.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

125 to 600cc

in itself, isn't a problem - it's being thoughtful in choosing a 600 that isn't too lairy, and having enough sense to respect it.

Part of it is what budget you have to spend. The other crucial aspect is insurance - although you've been riding 6 years and have NCB, insurance cost shouldn't be under-estimated.

As you need the bike restricting, your best bet are the twin cylinder bikes - Kawasaki's ER6 or Suzuki's SV650 are ideal candidates for restriction. Four cylinder machines can be restricted as well but tend to be "strangled" in a way that twins aren't. Bandits, Hornets and Fazers are popular first big bikes (four cylinder bikes).

Keep in mind the cost of a drop; although you've done 6 years, a 600 will be significantly heavier than a 125 - faired bikes especially will make your eyes water if it lands on its side.

If you avoid the uber-high-performance 600s, treat the bike with due respect and take your time to get used to it, you'll be fine.

Reply to this Topic
meatbaws

Jun 11

meatbaws says:

Just as I said

But the long winded version :lol:

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

quality

meat. just what i was thinking

Reply to this Topic
smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

Ace

When I sat on the Honda it was the perfect fit and ticks all the right boxes imo. The insurance shot up but I was expecting that and having it split into monthly payments wasn't all that eye watering. Its just a shame I couldn't get to test ride it due to the dealership seeing it wasn't the hassle...

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

I'm going from 125 to 600

Honda CBF 125 with 1 years riding to a CBR 600F restricted.

My worry isn't the speed, I will be in control of that & will start off slow & work up as I get more experience on the bigger bike.

I worry about the weight at low speeds, but only because I've not ridden bigger that the 125 but then I had the same (unfounded) worry the first time I got on a 125.

I find out what happens monday at 5pm.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Larger Machines

For the most part are easier to ride as they're a lot more stable (as long as you keep t'bugger moving!!).

You've got the experience of riding on the road for a few years so just increase your safety spaces for a while as things can happen a little quicker on a larger machine whilst you're adjusting to it (not trying to patronise honest!:smile)

Happy Riding:smile   

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices