Skip to content

Ask an Expert 125cc to 600cc. Death wish? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > 125cc to 600cc. Death wish?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

125cc to 600cc. Death wish?

Hello

I've been riding my existing bike for over 6 years and have done nearly 30k miles. I wanted to get a larger bike. I've passed my A2 test and now want to get something larger. Have looked and sat on a NC700s DCT but haven't ridden (due to the restriction). Is it a wise idea to jump?
Thanks in advance :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 July 2012 19:40)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Don't worry

about jumping on a bigger bike,after half a days riding you`ll be wondering what you were worried about.Plus you`ll have the biggest smile on your face and you'll be saying Wahoooooo !! a lot.Enjoy your big bikes fellas your going to love them.:biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

Big grin

I already had an enormous grin on my face when I sat on it, so I am half way there :smile Hopefully going to get it on Saturday so I can at least have the weekend to have a play :smile

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Just

in time for summer you have impeccable timing,and get some pictures up so we can have a look at your new toy.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

125cc to 600cc

There are so many factors involved it's hard to know what will work for someone; your attitude, skill, the bike's power characteristics, your experience even on a 125.

My advice would be go for something with predictable, smooth power that ramps gently and that could easily include some sports bikes like the CBR600RR. Same for brakes - a top sportsbike with aggressive biting Brembos may prove a handful in the wet. Personally I think more upright bikes are easier to handle when things go a bit wrong though. Next is to make sure you have good tyres and for the road I'd suggest ones that are good in the wet and cold is most important - almost anything is ok on warm and dry roads. A bike that is progressive in power and braking with good road tyres is my suggestion whatever the cc.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

the only thing you will need to watch out for is the power and the 0-60 on a big bike will be very fast un like most 125cc.

it took me about acouple of week riding my big bike after my slow 125 to get used to it
 for me i had to get used to the weight and the seat high. plus my 125 was flat out at 50mph as i red lined it for my test.

Reply to this Topic
smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

Link to what I was thinking ...

Honda NC700S

Its not hugely powerful (35bhp), nice upright riding position :)

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Bmwgs

has a valid point about the acceleration on a bigger bike.

A 125 generally needs ragged to get anything from it, where a 600 will shift pretty quickly, and thus needs a far more precise throttle hand.

The method I used (as daft as it may sound to some) was to leave the bike on its stand, and twist the throttle to see how much / little throttle it needed to bring rpm up to certain points (trying to "get a feel" for its response) - that way, I had some idea how it would respond without being surprised when I took it out.

Reply to this Topic
smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

Thanks for that...

Kinda slightly nervous reading of the power difference between the two. I'm not one of those "revving the tits off" type rider, the whole 0-60 quickly is sort of daunting. I will try out your tip when I get it :)

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

smortimer77

Hi and welcome to the site.

Forget sitting on it and twisting the throttle to attempt to get a feel for it, you will gain diddly squat, try it on your 125 and you'll find there is no comparison between static and roadspeed in different gears. Total waste of time and effort.

Get on the bike, ride it with respect, remember it is heavier, you'll notice this more of the first few corners, having brakes which are designed to stop a heavier bike you will find that they react quicker to your input. You control the throttle so you will soon learn how far to twist it, just like you did with your 125. Most of all enjoy, ride safe and treat all other road users as total morons.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: 

Reply to this Topic
smortimer77

Jul 12

smortimer77 says:

Good news and bad news...

Well the good news is I have put down a deposit for one, black, nice. Bad news, won't be getting til middle of August, beginning of September. A whole entire month.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices