You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > R1200GS pep up

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

R1200GS pep up

I have an old 2004 BMW R1200GS. Recently I had a test ride on the latest model which was a lot peppier to ride and felt much better for it. Having established that I am too weak willed to go against my missus and spend the savings on a new bike I began wondering if I could stealthily improve my current bike. What I had in mind was a K&N filter, de-cat it and run a freer flowing end can. If I do this will the ecu on this model automatically adjust the fuelling (It has Lamda sensors) or will it run too lean? I.e. will I need to spend another couple of hundred quid on mapping.

Thanks

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 July 2012 09:45)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pep up

Don`t know but before spending money has the bike been serviced as in checking valve clearances and maybe a compression test?

Also you may have a back pressure regulator in your exhaust:unsure:not working properly.

Was the test bike water/liquid cooled or air/oil cooled as yours? 

Reply to this Topic
ianp5uk

Aug 07

ianp5uk says:

R1200GS pep up

Yes it is serviced and running perfectly! The bike I tested WAS the latest oil/air. I didn't think the new water cooled GS had been released yet?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pep up

running perfectly,i suggest you leave well alone.

If you change things and run on a weaker mixture you could be asking for trouble because of the extra heat,more so with air/oil cooled engine.Also if the ecu is not automatic /adjustable:unsure:you will have problems at low revs.

As my first post i don`t know your model.

Reply to this Topic
littleredrooster

Aug 02

1200GS

I can confirm what jaffa said - the ECU will not compensate for filter/exhaust mods as it is a closed-loop system which runs a fixed fuel map (other than at idle and acceleration, when it goes open-loop and uses the lamda sensors).

As the 1200 runs notoriously weak in most situations, the only other alternatives for more power are either a Power Commander (or similar - Accelerator Module is another one) or a remap of the ECU which can be done by Hilltop Motorcycles in the Midlands and possibly others.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

1200GS

You can put a louder can on without any need to remap/power commander anything.
If you go for a K&N (but I wouldn't recomend you do) and a set of decat headers, then you can buy an "Accelerator module" that will sort the fuelling out enough. A power commander would be even better though.

Try looking on a GS specific forum.

How many miles has yours done?? They run much better after they've done some miles (30+k)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle