Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS

The new Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 has beaten its arch rival the BMW R1200GS into second place in the latest sales charts. Figures just released by the Motorcycle Industry Association show 806 of the new three-cylinder Triumphs have been sold so far this year – 153 more than BMW's ubiquitous adventure bike. Mind you, if you add the sales of the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 July 2012 14:00)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
burnthouse

May 12

burnthouse says:

is that the really 6months worth

If this is 6months sales figures... it does make you wonder how the manufacturers cover the development costs... key example being new Kawasaki Versys 1000cc introduced early this year, not seeing it in top 20 list. So many 125cc sold but can't say I'm seeing many in Cornwall when I'm out on my versys650! Hmmm...

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Good to see so many 125's....

7 out of the 10 best sellers are 125's (110 included). Does this show a healthy uptake of new Bikers?

Reply to this Topic
rgvyan

Feb 08

rgvyan says:

its 6 months worth in the UK, which isn't the biggest market in the world.

On top of this- am I right in thinking the Explorer didn't actually start selling until March so it's only been avai3 months rather than 6?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Yes I just spotted my mistake.

There are 2 at no 7...!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

It's really not looking good

Sales have fallen, and fallen sharply, every year since 2008.  They're up very slightly this year, but largely because of 125s.

It doesn't really bode well for the future of biking when sales are essentially either to eternal L platers or to (very) well off coffin dodgers trying to out-ride senility.  And don't forget Harley Bear - Harley's actually been nipping at the heels of Suzuki and Kawasaki this year, but with a varied model range that isn't going to show up on this list.

I'm genuinely surprised that the NC700X - the lardy commuter in a mock softroader frock - has beaten the NC700S though.  That's got Ewan-and-Charlie-itus written all over it.

What bothers me is that today's new bike are tomorrow's used ones.  Personally I'm not over the moon at the choices that will be on offer a few years down the line - basic, easy to maintain, cheap to run mid range commuter bikes are going to become collectors items.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Aye...

Add the 2 versions of the GS & it whops everything... as usual... including the 125's. They only split it so as to not embarrass the other manufacturers too much.

Reply to this Topic
jallen

Aug 02

jallen says:

I hope Snev's comment is true. I have been on a couple of rideouts with a new local group and was pleased to see that at 40 I am not the youngest rider and there were a few teenage riders and some in their early 20's too.

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

First big bikes?

So few "first big bikes" in the list, and so far down too, arguably starting at 16th with cbr600f. None of the new wave of 250ish cc bikes, no er6, divvys, bandits or even the smaller bmws. High 125cc sales is promising, but lets hope its not all commuters and pre-car teens.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

5leafclover ....shhhh....

Don't tell the government but... Those 387 ZZR1400's were sold to direct access Riders... as "first big bikes".

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Not every new rider buys their first big bike brand new. There is a healthy secondhand market out there!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle