Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS

The new Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 has beaten its arch rival the BMW R1200GS into second place in the latest sales charts. Figures just released by the Motorcycle Industry Association show 806 of the new three-cylinder Triumphs have been sold so far this year – 153 more than BMW's ubiquitous adventure bike. Mind you, if you add the sales of the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 July 2012 14:00)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jekyllandhyde

Apr 10

nice one!

I am delighted for Triumph. I really think they deserve the sales after putting in some much work on the bike. The only thing which would make me happier is having one of them =)

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

misleading title

as they say half way through the report the BMW in both styles outsells the Triumph but its a great result regardless given that the other rivals by Yamaha and Honda are nowhere to be seen. Overall a very poor showing for Yamaha big cc bikes and especially Suzuki with non at all listed. The Explorer is a great road bike but that for some isn't enough and since its the new kid as such I think that these figures will continue to be strong for quite some time so long as they can maintain supply to the demand and back it up with aftersales.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Exports

Based on these numbers, Triumph must export 85-90% of their production.

Be thankful that it only takes very minor modifications (mostly labeling/placards) to sell a bike from other markets in the UK, as none of these numbers would justify a UK only model.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Interesting Stats

So, BMW sold almost as many R12GS-ADV as the regular 12GS?  That's just incredible.  The hotted Superbike in the UK is the Honda 653 followed by the BMW RR with 440.  That's also quite good showing for BMW.  And the only full on Touring bike on the list is also from BMW, the RT with 383.

Where is Ducati in all this? I would think their Monster to be popular. 

Triumph does quite well in their home country.  That's good to see.

But how do you explain the Kawa ZZR1400 on the list?  Seems almost out of the place, as the list is not performance oriented (short of the two superbikes).

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

@SatNavSteve

"Not every new rider buys their first big bike brand new. There is a healthy secondhand market out there!"

Indeed, but today's new bikes are tomorrow's used bikes.  In the past, new bikers have bought cheap mid range bikes, but they're just not doing it any more.  Look at the bikes that Johnny Newpass is going to be able to choose from in 5 years.

If you're after a ZZR1400 so that you can keep up with the Power Ranger pack without really trying, or a third of a ton 'adventure' bike to go on your mid life crisis tour of the Carpathians, great guns.

If you're looking for a cheap 365 days a year all weather mid capacity commuter, it's not looking so hot.  The NC700X is the only bike on there that I'd really put in that class; Striples and the CBR600F to me are leisure bikes that you can commute on.

Eh, we've all got our own opinions on this, but I'm not liking what those numbers say about where biking is heading.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Rogerborg!

'In the past, new bikers have bought cheap mid range bikes!' So you are saying every new biker buys a new bike now because your point here is confusing? And are you seriously saying that a new biker would go out and buy a ZZR1400 to keep up with his mates? coz thats what it sounds like. I'm in my late 50s and have just bought a Tiger 800 which doesn't weigh a third of a ton and is classed as an adventure bike and has just taken me to Austria and back, but I don't consider myself to be having a mid life crisis, just a good time since taking early retirement as I have done riding for the last 40 years. So lets not stereotype every rider for the choice of bike they make. If you want a Honda for commuting, buy a Deauville with weather protection and luggage, both of which the NC700 doesn't have, and buy a used one and save a load of dosh. If bike stats are pointing to a future of adventure bikes instead of sports bikes, all the better. Then you might see people using their bikes for touring instead of seeing secondhand bikes 5 years old with 2000 miles on the clock that have just been ridden flat out to their local meet 10 miles away. People need to realise that bikes with over 10,000 miles on the clock are not necessarily knackered.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Did you find yourself?

How are we going to be able to buy used Dullsvilles if nobody is buying them new?

A future of scouring used ads filled with mostly 125s and litre+ 'adventure' and 'sports' bikes (and Harleys) doesn't really thrill me, is all I'm saying.  I has a sad that the likes of ER6s, Dullsvilles, Divvys and Hornets just aren't being sold in significant numbers now, which means they won't be available used in significant numbers tomorrow.

Reply to this Topic
1050cc

May 09

1050cc says:

Really glad to see the top 3 bikes are 125cc non-scooters. I bet those 3000+ people are new to bikes and are having the time of their lives! Good for them!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Dullsville

@ Rogerborg - Here in the US, the Dullsville is so rare on the ground that the comment I get most often is “I thought it was a BMW until I saw the Honda logo”.

@ SatNavSteve – I would not recommend a Dullsville as a commuting bike for shorter riders – too hard to back up on a slope, hold up on cambered pavement at a stop, etc, since it is actually a quite tall bike. A smaller rider would actually be better off on the considerably heavier Pan European.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Dullsville

@ Rogerborg - Here in the US, the Dullsville is so rare on the ground that the comment I get most often is “I thought it was a BMW until I saw the Honda logo”.

@ SatNavSteve – I would not recommend a Dullsville as a commuting bike for shorter riders – too hard to back up on a slope, hold up on cambered pavement at a stop, etc, since it is actually a quite tall bike. A smaller rider would actually be better off on the considerably heavier Pan European.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices