Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1200 EXPLORER > Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 sales beat BMW R1200GS

The new Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 has beaten its arch rival the BMW R1200GS into second place in the latest sales charts. Figures just released by the Motorcycle Industry Association show 806 of the new three-cylinder Triumphs have been sold so far this year – 153 more than BMW's ubiquitous adventure bike. Mind you, if you add the sales of the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 July 2012 14:00)

Post a message in TIGER 1200 EXPLORER

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

Ok, so Basically not bad sales with all things considering!
Adventure tour. sales are 2’814,  Big sports 1’818 Naked and 600s 1’563 and then the rest
Total sales are 12’599. That’s not counting all the other bikes not on this small pointless list,

all this is showing that I have too much time on my hands , and must do some work!  

Reply to this Topic
Alexko184

Feb 11

Alexko184 says:

Tiger

Nice figures and I am happy that a small manufacturer can compete with the BMW..even if it is a small picture of the whole set. If we look at the figures worldwide,I do not expect the Explorer to reach even 3% of the amount of GS1200 sold in the world. Maybe in time will build up the required "reputation" on the "mighty ships" market.

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

So far, so good, but...

Explorer sales will level out soon.  These early months were all about getting the showrooms populated with the new bike.  Then the first round of bikes get sold and the showroom is restocked.  Soon enough, the sales will hit a saturation point of interested buyers and the numbers will be significantly lower from then on.

Soon after BMW released the 1200GS, sales went through the roof the first 6 months.  Then the Adventure followed a year later and sales jumped up again.  Then the market hit a plateau.  Sales per month were down from then on, but they have remained steady ever since.  Triumph will do the same.  The Supen Ten has already plateaued.

The GS will likely hit a sales spike again to get rid of all the oil heads on the floor to make room for the new watercooled 1250.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The encouraging thing here is

the number of little bikes being sold. O.K a fair proportion of those will be as cheap commuter run arounds, but there must be quite a few kids getting into motorcycling too, which can only bode well. Straightened times may prove to be a long term boom for the motorcycle industry? Once bikes are in your blood....

Reply to this Topic
thedukeofhunslet

Nov 07

Where's Ducati...?

Everyone is talking about how Audi are going to sort out the MotoGP outfit. There's only 12 real bikes on this list and Triumph and BMW have 4 each on it - I don't see them in the MotoGP paddock anywhere. Right now an army of accountants will be looking at this list and asking how they can justify a MotoGP outfit. My guess is some hard choices in the model line up with some interesting redesigns on some of the next refreshes. I reckon a shaft drive on the Multistrada and Diavel. While some will scoff at that I reckon someone will tell Bologna to do it or they'll have Audi's R&D department do it for them. Regardless of the technical merits of shaft drive the perceived hassle and maintenance free running sort by it's supporters has driven some sales as well as driven the design pen of Triumph, Honda and Yamaha. This garbage about Audi leaving Ducati to do what they want won't last long or they'll be back where they started (in debt) and VW/Audi NEVER tolerated a loss making operation.

Reply to this Topic
tonydoc903

Mar 09

tonydoc903 says:

Triumph 125.

This is great news for triumph. Why have they not entered into the 125 market.KTM have just got in with there Duke 125, and Yamaha are constantly getting top selling sports bike with there 125 and they are over £4000 new. As we are constantly been told the buying public is getting older and younger riders are needed. If triumph were to build a good 125 they would also build a new customer base. I have recently bought a Cbr125R to commute on. £3500. Could have bought a cheaper Chinese model but I trust Honda to build a good 125 and it was only £99 a month. I have had another bike for over 6 years now a Benelli Tornado, done over 30 k miles on it but its not worth trading in only offered £600 part ex.My point being I bought a 125 for £3 k but I didn't' replace my benelli for another big bike costing over £14000. Honda got my money, if triumph had made a 125 they would have got the money. 125's and 250's seem to be having a bit of a come back there seems to Be a lot more older riders going back to smaller machines, probably due to good fuel millage,cheap tax and insurance also you have to work them a bit harder which tends to put a smile on your face brings back a few memories of my early days on a 50 cc. And i'am still riding bikes at nearly 50. Triumph should do a 125 but it has to be there own engine. Cheers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle