Skip to content

Ask an Expert First bike dilemma (125) Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > First bike dilemma (125)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

First bike dilemma (125)

Hello, basically i'm looking to get some sort of 125 (probably a scooter) and i'm a bit stuck.. I would obviously like to spend as little as possible but I do want to get a decent bike so i'm willing to spend a decent amount of money (up to about 2000) I have mainly been looking at the aprillia sr, piaggio typhoon and gilera runner as i want something nippy, reliable and good looking. I would preferably get something on finance (from a dealership) or even something new but i don't really know enough about bikes and stuff to know what is best to do and to be able to understand the pros and cons of buying a new bike or what not, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 July 2012 17:28)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

First bikes

tend to be a balancing act - spending enough to try and get a decent bike, but bearing in mind that you'll almost inevitably drop the thing at some point; the more you spend, the more gutting it'll be.

First off, consider insurance: as a newbie, this will be your biggest sticking point.

Secondly, is there a particular reason that you're looking for a scooter over a geared bike?

Thirdly, don't forget you'll need some kit if you haven't already got it (helmet / gloves / jacket etc), especially if you're using it all year; being cold and wet on a bike saps concentration. Remember also that you'll need security - small bikes are far more vulnerable to theft than a big bike and are seldom recovered when they do get stolen.

Reply to this Topic
Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

Thanks for the quick reply.

For insurance I thought it would be roughly the for any 125, is that completely wrong then? I'm leaning towards choosing a scooter just for simplicity and easy of use really and it just seems like a scooter should be more reliable as there's less to go wrong I would of thought. Yeah i'll definitely be investing in gloves, and a jacket when I get a bike that's for sure! I have to do a bit of research into which lock or whatever is best to buy but i will definitely be putting something around the wheels.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Insurance

depends on a multitude of factors, not just the bikes size or performance. Age, experience, the bike itself and its value, the cost of repair in a claim, your postcode (theft risk) and even your occupation all contribute to setting insurance premium levels.

Factor in the cost of a drop and availability of parts when you buy - most people drop bikes at some point and you want a bike you can source parts for - not always easy with the Chinese bikes out there.

If you're planning to buy on finance, bear in mind that finding the payment every month might be unfunny if you unexpectedly find yourself out of work - the bike belongs to the finance firm until its paid off.

If you're buying new, bear in mind the depreciation will be a big hit in the first 12 - 18 months; if you plan to keep the bike it doesn't matter so much, if on the other hand you're planning to sell it on after a while the depreciation should be accounted for.

If you stick to the known brands (Aprilia / Piaggio / Peugeot / Yamaha / Suzuki / Vespa), you won't go far wrong.

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

I would

definitely go for a bike rather than a scooter. I started out this time last year and bought a Yamaha YBR 125 Custom having initially intended to buy a scooter. Dead easy to ride and a manual gear box gives better fuel consumption than a twist and go scooter.

Bought mine new and given my time again I would have bought a fairly new used bike - I'll take a depreciation hit when I sell (to buy a bigger bike) in the next month. The Custom is only group 2 insurance and I get 100mpg easily.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

There you go Fizzee

You can buy rosies bike!:smile

Reply to this Topic
Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

Options

Thanks for the tips regarding the insurance, I didn't realise it would vary so much for a 125. The thing that would make me more inclined to get a bike rather than a scooter would be the fact I may look to get a bigger bike at some point but it's not something that is for definite. If I did go for a bike I think I would more likely get myself a Yamaha YZF or a DTr with the YZF probably coming out of top, just out of interest what do you guys think/know about those bikes? Also with the mpg do you think I would get better milage with say a YZF than just a Gilera Runner?

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

depends where you're riding

if open roads then agree geared bike much much better, but if commuting in London, save yourself the hassle and get a scoot.

I had a series of Gilera Runners for commuting, 125 & 200s and they were great, no hassle with clutch just point and squirt, nothing gets above 40 in London rush hour anyway, so easily the best choice

Mileage will not be that different in town, as all slower speed, start stop stuff anyhow. Be honest, all depends on mileage done, if low then will you notice a couple of quid each week (less that a can of beer!)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help, at the moment i'm actually leaning towards getting myself a Yamaha YZF R125, i'm mainly looking on bike trader for trader only ads (I feel a bit safer buying seconnd hand from a dealership).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices