Skip to content

Ask an Expert Suzuki bandit 600 oil sight glass query + knocking noise Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Suzuki bandit 600 oil sight glass query + knocking noise

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

Suzuki bandit 600 oil sight glass query + knocking noise

i dont know if this is a stupid question or not but when my bikes not running the oil level on the sightglass is a tiny bit below the full marker which is fine. however when i turn my engine on the oil disapears completely from the sightglass, is this normal?

Also when my bike is cold or just warming up i can hear a knocking noise like a tap tap tap tap tap tap, when the bike warms up it stops? is this ok or something i should worry about? my bikes a 2002 bandit 600

thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 July 2012 21:34)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tap tap

Your oil sight level is normal,the tapping is normal but the knocking is not.

What oil/type is in the the bike and when last changed also when was the valve clearances last checked together with the cam chain tensioner?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Knocking / tapping

difficult to tell without hearing it / where its coming from / how long it lasts - noise from cold which disappears shortly after can happen while waiting for the oil to circulate, but without seeing / hearing it its tricky to tell.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bandit

As Jaffa mentioned, a little more info on the recent service history would be useful.  What mileage is on the bike?

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

more info :)

12,320 miles i serviced it 300 miles ago (oil+filter+4 plugs+air filter+oiled the chain) however its done it since i bought it (at 11,035 miles)

the oil thats in it is what the book said to use 10w40 part synthetic

no idea about the valve clearences/cam chain tensioner or when they were last checked, i have full service/work history and cant see any invoices etc?

the noise disapears when the bike is fully warmed up and it only seems happen on tick over/low revs, also if this is any help i have the bike fitted with a 33BHP restrictor kit

i dont really know how to describe the noise it seems to be matched to the revs/the engine noise imagine tapping the engine casing or something metal and hollow with a hammer(thats the best way i can describe it sorry)

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

noise

Errrrrrrrr,your bike needs a full service.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi

to locate the source of the noise use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, the handle makes a good ear piece, move the tip around the engine untill you hear the noise at its loudest.

Once you locate the main area of the engine where the noise is located you can then diagnose a possible cause of the possible problem. Let us know what you find out.

I would be suspicious of the mileage being correct 1232 miles per year, do you know the seller personally, where did you buy the bike from?  

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki GSF 600 Bandit 2002

Hi Morpheusking

That tapping noise could be a lot of things,myself without being able to hear it would say its probably just a bit of back lash in the cam chain at idle(could be worth lifting the idle speed very slightly to 1000,1200rpm to see if this helps).But could also be a tappet,or even a loose spark plug ticking,or one of the restrictor plates rattling at low rev's,or even a exhaust header gasket ticking.But without hearing it,its all a bit of guess work really:huh:Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

cheers guys

when i find what/if there is a problem with anything ill post here to let you guys know, thanks alot for your help :)

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

the oil disapears cos the engine is running and chucking it everywhere its needed mate..ideally the oil should come half way up the sight 'glass' when engine is switched off and cold. In regard to the 'knocking'.. if u listen by the side of the engine then reach up and blip the throttle, do u hear a sort of slap noise... if so its very likely to be the cam chain.. if u replace the cam chain get the CCT done at the same time... if you pull the clutch in on tick over does the noise go??

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices