Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Does getting your knee down improve your riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Does getting your knee down improve your riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Does getting your knee down improve your riding?

I passed my bike test a couple of years ago and ride a GSX-R750, which I love to bits. I've recently done a few track days and I'm amazed by how many people get their knees down. Does sliding your knee really make you a better rider, or is it just showing off? Hailwood never did it… Your advice could help. Leave...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 July 2012 18:04)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
markis42

Dec 05

markis42 says:

Knee down

I followed a bloke just a few weeks ago who attempted to hang off his seat every corner but failed to lean the bike over.I can honestly say he looked a total pratt.Maybe from the same group who ride along "weaving" side to side as do gp riders in warm up.Cant figure that one out either.

Reply to this Topic
earthbound14

Nov 08

earthbound14 says:

knee kinda down

I will hang my knee out and shift my butt over and a bit off the seat. I find it helps me take corners faster and with more control (far less likely to swing wide). But really, it's about necessity. I have not needed to drag my knee on the street and to be honest it would probably be dangerous. Most corners can be easily negotiated by proper body positioning and steering without needing to take your butt of the seat and get your knee down. If this is something your concerned about you need to practice on different corners at different speeds while shifting your body weight, steering your bike (which if you're counter steering will be initiating your lean) and hanging your butt off the seat. You'll find the balance you need for a given corner. When everything is done right you should feel like you have complete control of your bike and not feel like your going to drift. It's good to be able to make a tighter turn at the last minute as well, often times things pop up on the road that you might not wish to run over or hit. So it's best to have your body in a position to allow that rather than feeling "locked" in to your current path.

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

No

Followed some 2@ on a Fireblade who kept getting his knee down, and I did not and was just as quick :-)..show boating for his own satisfaction

Reply to this Topic
moiten

Jul 12

moiten says:

BORING!

whilst some motorcyclists choose to spend a beautiful day like today, sitting at home on the internet, discussing what is "appropriate road riding behaviour" others are out on their bikes, scraping their knees on the floor and having a huge amount of fun doing it. chill out and go have fun on your bikes! u can complain about other riders and act all superior (secretly jealous) in the winter when there is nothing better to do.

Reply to this Topic
pottersbar

Apr 06

pottersbar says:

I now follow the new style by just hanging my leg out!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Balls.

In answer to Venturer's derision concerning road riders who ride with the balls of their feet on the pegs instead of flat-footed and often toe-out, I take the opposite view. The link below is a reasonable summary.
http://www.husqvarnaoutlet.com/proper_foot_to_peg_positioning

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

knee down bandit

I you have a lack of ground clearance, then knee down really can help.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd3/eatcs01/Bungaloweverythingdown.jpg

Reply to this Topic
twowheeledfiend

Oct 08

Yes.

I learnt to slide my knee on the road. But where ever you learn it allows you to explore the bike. I would suggest that everyone with a sports bike get their knee down, it would be a waste not to. Too many people rocking up to bike meets with the latest sports bike, full leathers, expensive lid, etc etc but who clearly steer round corners according to the size of the strips of unused tyres on the back. They may as well fit a steering wheel to the bike!! Come on guys, sort it out! I guess I'm trying to say go and learn, you wont regret it. Do it safely on the road (it can be done) for the buzz or wait for the track day. P.S If you have done a track day with your gixer and have got chicken strips on the front tyre, yes the front, you're not leaning over enough ;)

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

You can take a corner with less lean angle by hanging off. If you add speed to the same corner your knee will touch down, add more speed and you can start to judge your lean angle with your knee. I got my knee down on my first track day with a sv650. Pick one corner and just keep increasing your entry speed, good body position and be smooth.

I hate when people over hang off just to get their knee down as seen in a lot of magazines. Its bad body position which gives bad control.

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

getting you knee down is going to improve your track riding of coarse... but seriously... on the road? are you really riding safely? I can think of possible two or three roads I've been down where it would be safe but totally un-needed to get your knee down... Keep the track shit on the track and ride like your not trying to kill yourself or others on the road? each to their own until they kill someone car driver or bike rider it doesn't matter just don't fu** someone else's lives up in your pretence to be rossi

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices