Skip to content

Discuss This Middleweight super twins tested First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Middleweight super twins tested

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Adam Child  says:

Middleweight super twins tested

Going by the sales figures, new supersport 600s today are about as appealing as an ‘internal inspection’ at Terminal 5 – a far, far cry from the sales topping stats of bikes like the CBR600F in the 1990s. The quest for track and race success has resulted, so the theory goes, in bikes which are too extreme as road bikes for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 July 2012 14:56)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
chrisbf125

Sep 10

chrisbf125 says:

800 Twin Sports Bike Please - "F" and "RR" versions

I agree with matthewdaytona - the bike I'd really like is an 800cc v-twin sports bike, available in comfortable "F" flavour. Sports 600s need to be revved way too much for use in town and on the open road it's a pain having to change gear to access all the power. The Ducati 848 looks like a nice bike but I'm no gymnast so I don't think I could handle the riding position. Bikes like the Aprilia Dorsoduro and Ducati Mypermotard look awesome but I need a fairing.

Reply to this Topic
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I have a 1999 sv650s, its my everyday bike. I brought it to my last track day and was quite surprised how well it done. lacking power on the straight, but great in the bends. I even passed a 2008 gsxr 1000. I was riding the socks of it, when I was starting to catch him. I backed off a bit coming into dunlop bend (tricky tight right in mondello) I knew I was carring more corner speed. Hard on the brakes, apex and passed him on the exit.

It was one of my best track days because I wasn't expecting much on a 14 year old sv650. Its definatily a bike that punches above its weight.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Great Fun

I dropped my ZZR1400 in for it's first service the other day and was lent an ER6n for the morning. The bike is short and light with wide bars and an absolute hoot to ride. On wet and dry roads it felt safe and predictable, a bit basic but it's a lot of fun to ride. I love my big ZZR but one of these middleweights would be no hardship at all if money became tight.

Reply to this Topic
Zenutz84

Aug 12

Zenutz84 says:

No Gladius?

I'm suprised that you didn't decide to test the gladius against the ER-6 and the NC700s seeing this is essentially an updated SV650 and more like the ER6 that the SV, it would have been interesting to see how these compared as they're more matched that the SV and ER. I own a gladius and think they are great bikes I have owned mine just over a year a love it everytime i got out and makes the perfect 1st bike - the gladius always seems to overlooked and the SV used for tests - please give some thought for this underated cracking middleweight

Reply to this Topic
marval

Nov 03

marval says:

twins

Funny thing is, I own and love my 2011 SV, in the white and blue it has an on road presence that the others do not. Put on a very reasonably priced Motad venom can and it sounds superb. Do agree about the OE tyres they are the weakest part. It stirs my soul every time I ride it, and at under £5k it is an absolute steal. My previous mount was a 2010 ER6N, an anonymous, boring and clinicaly average bike. I did write to big K complaining about the unreadable speedo/tacho on the 2010, and they said they have had no complaints! Apart from the background colour it is now identical the "dated" one on the SV! According to this test the swing arm of the SV is also old hat, take a look at the NC700's. As a matter of interest the 2010 ER6 swing arm would not have looked out of place on a mountain bike.If biking is a passion, as has been mine over the last 45 years, of these three, no contest and pocket over a grand!!!

Reply to this Topic
Cent

Jan 10

Cent says:

ERF 6

I bought a new ERF 6 in 2009 mkII version, it was a good first bike, how ever i bought a new 2011 CBR600F which is far better! and for me is the perfect road bike! i think its a graet combination of power and comfort and handling, not too much power, but more than enough for a road! and graet handling and comfort both in and out of town. I never owned the old CBR600F, but i can certainly say the new one has left every car at the traffic light GP for dead far easier than my ER 6F ( although both did it easily). The new CBR 600F is an example of how a 600 can be made to be comfortable and perform well with out being physically cripled due to uncomfortable riding position and hard seat!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices