Skip to content

Ask an Expert Mod 2 struggles, Tips? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Mod 2 struggles, Tips?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lozstone

Jul 12

lozstone says:

Mod 2 struggles, Tips?

Hey all. Had 2 years on cbt riding every day come rain, shine, snow or ice, took the plunge 2 months ago and started going about getting a proper license.
Managed to pass Mod 1 no minors 2nd time round (locked rear wheel on emergency stop 1st go). Managed to fail Mod 2 twice now and wondering if it might be time for more lessons? (although the school I'm with assure me there is no need). 1st Mod 2 I failed with one serious fault and no minors for turning nearside to nearside with an oncoming vehicle (both of us turning to our corresponding right) at a traffic lighted crossroad. My instructor asked me to take him to the junction after I failed and was surprised the examiner failed me on it as the road was wide enough to safely turn that way. Second Mod 2 I racked up 5 minors for undue hesitation, stopping at give way signs (in pouring rain) to get a view of each road I was crossing. I was more annoyed second time as I wasn't going to go blasting across a road I had no view of till the last minute and would negotiate any give way sign the same way again on a test or not. Anyways, this is an essay now. Do I need more lessons or shall I go buy a pushbike? Plus, going on holiday with the missus to italy in 2 months and not holding any hope of passing before then. Can I hire a scooter in Italy without a full license? TA!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 July 2012 00:45)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Stick at it

rule number one of the test: your examiner wants to see SAFE riding, not perfect riding.

Rule 2 (and I can't tell from here if it applies to you or not) is that people can lose their nerves on a test which they don't during a lesson, leading to errors.

As for the nearside / nearside turn, it's generally regarded as being less safe than offside / offside, the general thought being that turning ns/ns can block your view of other traffic. Some road layouts leave little choice but to turn ns/ns however. Without being familiar with your test road, I would guess thats why your examiner failed you there.

As for the undue hesitation, again its tricky to tell without knowing the route, and the visibility of said junctions.

As daft as it might sound, are you sufficiently familiar with the roads on the test routes?

Reply to this Topic
lozstone

Jul 12

lozstone says:

Thanks

Thanks for the good advice. I've ridden both areas they use as test routes at my local dsa a few times to get familiar with any ambiguous road markings/junctions. Its all pretty straight forward around both with the exception of one pretty hairy multi lane roundabout and that junction I failed on, which (from the direction I approached it) has no marked waiting areas for turning. Got another Mod 2 booked in two weeks time so I will have a whip round both routes a few times more. Definitely had some nerves on the second mod 2 due to financial pressure so will try and approach this next one with a bit more of a 'what will be' attitude. The sod of it all is that my examiner left his indicator on all the way down a road on my first mod 2 then failed me :lol:

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Not saying your instructor isn't good

but have you thought about changing?

Each trainer has there own style of training and a different style can make all the difference.

Not knowing the junction you are talking about but if there are no 'right turn positioning arrows' then either NS to NS or OS to OS would be ok but when turning in to a wide road OS to OS is often more acceptable.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Unlucky maybe?

I'm sure it's not time to give up return to pedalling just yet.

The NS-NS versus OS-OS thing seems possibly unlucky, if you had vision over the top of and through the other vehicle's windows (which you examiner, being further behind, might not have), and if going NS-NS didn't cause any other issue, like unnecessarily cutting over markings etc, then a "serious" sounds harsh, but you should turn it around and ask, how could I have given the examiner no chance of scoring me down?

Second time around your examiner might have seen each full stop at a give way as evidence that your weren't observing and planning ahead enough, but it's a tough one to call without having been there.  Maybe slowing more and making really your observations really obvious before stopping might have helped?

With so much time and riding since your CBT (and less face it, there's some really dodgy CBT instruction out there) I'd say take a lesson with a fresh instructor.  You'll no doubt have already picked up lots of experience and survival instincts, but maybe also some habits that make your riding look a bit less DSA style?

Reply to this Topic
lozstone

Jul 12

lozstone says:

Thanks all

This is all really good stuff guys. I've been trying to make all my observations as obvious as possible throughout testing but I'm guessing with that give way sign thing I should have been scanning everything in a bit more of a clear way. I wonder if I'd not come to a complete stop on several of them and just slowed WAY down without stopping I may have got away with it. In my day to day riding I bring my bike to a stop at any give way where I need to check two directions before pulling out and there anything at all that could potentially obstruct my view. Not sure precisely what the DSA are looking for there. But again, cheers for all the advice. Hoping for 3rd time lucky.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Not sure precisely what the DSA are looking for there

To me that suggests that a change of instructor would be a something to thing about.

I had been riding my 125 for approx. 9 months when I went for training for Mod 2. As my CBT/Mod 1 trainer was unable to do lessons at the times that suited me I went with the one that trained a friend.

What a difference in styles they had & the new one never let me off with the slightest mistake. I was left in no doubt just what the examiner wanted.

Taking a test when you are not ready isn't the best confidence boost, Get some training with a new trainer then you won't need better luck 3rd time, the better skills will get you through.

Reply to this Topic
lozstone

Jul 12

lozstone says:

Possibly...

I've had a good instructor who's not let me get away with any sub-par riding in lessons and always explains where I have gone wrong. But I do wonder if he has assessed me as test-ready a little prematurely. 2 years is a good amount of time to build up bad habits. Trying to mentally prepare myself for this third test now with a more laid-back attitude, think I'd be a lot more chilled if I had money to burn but I'm broke and should really be putting money aside for my upcoming wedding! Got a patient girl.

Reply to this Topic
lozstone

Jul 12

lozstone says:

Third Time Lucky

So I passed today with 2 minors for response to signs. I was very surprised to have passed as I thought my riding was far worse than the first two tests I failed. Well, its done now anyways, thanks for your advice guys.

Reply to this Topic
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

Can I hire a scooter in Italy without a full license?

Not that it's presumably so important now, but you can ride up to a 125 on a car licence there. For anything bigger a hire company will want a bike licence (almost certainly the full A not A2), and some companies may want you to have held a bike licence for a couple of years. Mopeds also need a licence now.

And well done!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Third time lucky

lozstone, well done for sticking with it, and congratulations on finally passing your test !! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices