Skip to content

Discuss This WK 650i: the first big bike from China First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > WK 650i: the first big bike from China

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

WK 650i: the first big bike from China

The Chinese motorcycle industry has been churning out big, big numbers for a long time – over 50% of the world’s motorcycles are built there after all. Until now, however, they’ve often been small capacity copies; scooters and learner bikes built for commuters yet dismissed by true enthusiasts as cheap and poor quality. But one ‘large number’ has eluded them – until...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 July 2012 16:33)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TinkerNZ

Oct 09

TinkerNZ says:

Mark my words.....

A chinese bike will win an isle of Mann class race within the next 12 years.

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

Buy used.

One of my bikes is a 1993 XLR250R, made in Japan. It is still going strong and looks and feels like it will for many years yet. I've learned that I'd much rather buy a used high-quality bike than a new low-quality one. I can use the bike for a couple of years and sell it and not lose a lot in depreciation. It'll be more enjoyable to ride (better suspension etc) and more reliable so it'll cost me less too. The Japanese have a saying something like, "Catch up and overtake". They love quality and want to better than anyone else at everything they do. They have changed engineering practices forever with concepts like the Taguchi house of quality. My experience of the Chinese is that they want to make money so they'll cut corners every way they can to increase profits, and they have to be carefully monitored to ensure quality is maintained. I think you get what you pay for, unless you get cheated, and sadly that's far more likely with a Chinese manuf. than a Japanese one. No doubt things will change as China grows to be the world's largest economy and national pride drives them to be the best at everything. But that's years away.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Even the mcn write up says it all its still no good and we don't even know the long term quality on this bike which im pretty sure as the tide turns will be bad. The japanese copy and better a product the chinese can only copy and unfortunately those copies are of questionable quality with no real consistency. Lets look at this in another light, its a motorcycle and we all know one serious fault and thats your life. Not like most cars where you are surrounded by alot more protection. Im sure they will up their game but when that will be is another question all together. I personally like quality over quantity and a nice second hand bike will do me just fine.

Reply to this Topic
oldmanA

Jul 12

oldmanA says:

Ok lets make this fairer.

I have just this minute come off the Kawasaki website. A Ninja 250 is £4695 (They don't have a naked 250)

and the WK 650i is £4100. Both are brand new, so no need to worry about how the engine has been broke-in or the bike has been abused, crashed MOT's serviced etc etc......

Which one would you buy? Me the WK and enjoy the extra horses!

They will never be better than the Japanese but for VFM and improving products they are definitely headed the right way! And that's attracting old noobs like myself to world of motorcycling. Which is very much a growing market in the UK. Ask any motorcycle dealer who are in the budget 125 market (not the rubbish machines that get all the bad press)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

oldmana - you should consider learning about how to inspect a second hand bike, rather than "trust" that a new one will somehow be better. It's quite easy, and with experience you can become confident that you're buying a peach, not a lemon. Also, that Kawasaki is gonna be worth a helluva lot more second hand than the WK, so when you want to move up, it isn't gonna cost the price of another new bike. You'll also find it easier to sell than the WK because very few people will want a used WK, for the very same reasons you justified buying new. Seriously, would you buy a used WK ? So how can you expect to sell it ? You know it won't last a long time cos it was cheap, and you know that in a year or two you'll want something faster. I suspect you're being seduced by the "new" and not seeing things two years from now, when the paint has faded, the fasteners have rotted, the stanchions are pitted and the suspension has lost its damping. Besides anything else, it's always good to buy the mark II, not the mark I. You don't wanna be the first to discover the bike needs a re-design

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

CBF600 2010

£3495 from a dealer with a warranty and 8,700 miles. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CBF600/600N/2010/_/R-NXGN-2234992 Really, you still want that WK ? And in 2 years when it is a 2008 with 27,000 miles it'll be worth over £2,000. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CBF600/2008/_/R-NXGN-7577330 I hope you see I'm trying to help.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

From the pre-review article

It's a CFMOTO 650i branded as WK.  That's significant because who's going to be honouring the warranty on it?  CFMOTO don't have any UK presence and good luck getting a tiny outfit like WK to eat any costs.

Even if you can get someone to do warranty work on this CFMOTO/WK, where are they going to get parts from?  Hyosungs, for example, have been importing bikes for years (via E.P. Barrus) but parts supply remains pitiful - you'll be directed to salvage sites for any non consumable bits.

Good luck trying Kwak parts to see if they fit or can be fettled, it could be an expensive experiment.

Insurance is also going to be a pickle.  If it's not on the main lists, then you won't be able to get comparison site quotes, and will end up paying more or spending more time searching for someone who will touch it.

All of this could be forgiven if it were A) significantly better than the competition (and it's not) or B) significantly cheaper.

But since you can get a Hyosung GT650 for the same £4200 price tag, why wouldn't you?

Nope, I'll be steering well clear until a lot of other mugs have wasted their money on these bikes.  They might make an OK used buy (if they hold up to British winters, which I very much doubt) but that means they'll make a lousy new buy.

Never mind the sticker price, the cost of owning one is going to be higher than any Japanese or Korean branded commuter.  You'd have to be certifiable to buy one new, and that's coming from someone who's taken perverse pleasure in buying Chinese branded bikes and the worst bike that Kawasaki every made (GPz 305).  Even I have limits though, and £4200 is far too much to waste.

Reply to this Topic
oldmanA

Jul 12

oldmanA says:

OK OK I surrender!

Can I please point out that I am a noob who has been driving cars for over 27 years....And no this is not a midlife crisis. Also, these are just my observations about current bike world.

When I am proficient with a lot more experience I will upgrade at some point. I can see me buying a bike like WK and run it into the ground, avoiding depreciation issues. As for parts, you just have to do your homework, just read the forums on current Chinese bikes. Rust is down to poor maintenance. My current experience is the Chinese bike is much much cheaper to insure.

That's it!  Blindfold please. 

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Depends how long it takes to fall apart

There are plenty of 20+ year old Japanese bikes still in active use.  This bike?  Well, let's see.

Owners forums need owners, and a £4200 Big Boy Bike isn't going to be bought in the same numbers (if at all) as a sub £1K Learner Legal.  There are already plenty of Chinese branded bikes which are essentially unsupported either by the importer or owners.  This isn't ignorant generalisation, I've owned 2 Chinese branded bikes, one well supported 125, and one abandonware 250.  The difference in supply and support is significant.

OK, 2 decades of scrupulous wash-downs and bathing in ACF-50 might see you right.  Bet you don't stick to it though.

Chinese bikes are cheaper to insure?  Really?  That's the exact opposite of my experience, when comparing like-for-like: HN125-8 vs Honda CM, LF250-B vs Virago 250.  That's if you can find an insurer who'll touch them.  My HN125-8 was a no-cost insurance swap for a GPZ 500.

You can see yourself buying a bike like this, but I bet you and every other awkward bugger who talks it up won't actually do so.  As HkUK says, you can get a lot more quality for the same money.

Reply to this Topic
oldmanA

Jul 12

oldmanA says:

Rogerborg

I didn't insult you or anyone else here!!!!!! So why insult me??? I am not a"awkward bugger" Just giving my view point. I'm sorry I'm not a part of a Russian Punk Band that you can lock up just for giving my views.

As for not actually buying....post your email address and I'll copy and send you my receipt for the Chinese made bike I have just purchased! It's a new UK model and Insurance quotes are very cheap compared.

There are also 20/30/40/50/60+ year old cars currently on the road, means nothing. I have heaved onboard what HkUK has pointed out and will help me with any future decisions.

The WK 650 is the First, there will be a lot more to come.

Was your "big boy bike" another insult? Not sure what you were getting at. I am a big boy at 6'2" and 16 st.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices