Skip to content

Discuss This Olympic ‘oversight’ over Games Lanes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Olympic ‘oversight’ over Games Lanes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Olympic ‘oversight’ over Games Lanes

Olympic organisers face criticism for excluding motorcyclists from Games Lanes reserved for athletes, officials and VIPs. The Motorcycle Action Group says it’s an “obvious oversight” because letting motorcyclists share the lanes would reduce congestion and emissions. Around 30 miles of Games Lanes opened last Wednesday to people directly involved in the Olympics. Anyone else who enters them risks a £130 fine....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 July 2012 17:10)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Legal?

I someone other than official vehicles enters the lanes, who has the authority to issue the 130 quid fine?  The IOC.  How can these signs possiblly be legally enforced as they are not typical approved signage per the highway vehicle code or whatever it's called in the UK?  Do the signs have official markings from such an agency?

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

I'd assume it will have been implemented by Transport For London (TFL), who have authority to levy charges on motorists.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Well

given these lanes have been installed, I'm pretty sure they'll be there AFTER the Olympics are over - maybe we just need to be patient?

Reply to this Topic
dghackett

Sep 02

dghackett says:

tfl /games lanes

I sent a e-mail to TFL over a week ago for clarification on the use of games lanes/bus lanes by motorcycles and am still waiting for a reply. They are not slow in fining people for breaches. I had to use my car last month as I got punted off be a cager jumping a red light. I used the same route in the car but forgot the congestion charge, they never, 6 days later £60 fine thank-you sir. The TFL and the IOC only care for they snotty nosed, overbearing, shite don't stink selves.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

Badger

I like what MAG do but this time they have to be retarded in their arguments.

“Given the reasoning behind the whole project is to improve traffic flow, reduce congestion and therefore emissions, MAG is saddened at the obvious oversight by the planning authorities who have forgotten to include motorcycles."

Surely the Games Lanes are there to speed up Games traffic only and nothing more.

"It will be deeply regrettable if traffic accidents involving riders increase during this Olympic period because they are forced into filtering when a completely free and safe lane is available.”

What complete nonsense, no one is forcing motorcyclists to do any thing.

I don't agree with Bus Lanes but at least the Games Lanes serve a rational purpose and I assume they are only there temporarily and will be gone with the Games.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

It's no 'oversight'

Letting bikes use the ORN will help reduce congestion.  Yeah, and letting cars use the ORN will also reduce congestion.  Trying to make bikes a special case isn't really going to endear us to car drivers.

"Deeply regrettable if accidents involving riders increase during this Olympic period because they are forced into filtering".  Seriously, get a grip!  This is exactly the reason why I don't join organisations like MAG.  Find something worthwhile to moan about!

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

ChimneyP...

"Surely the Games Lanes are there to speed up Games traffic only and nothing more."

Yes, but if another section of road users can benefit from them without casing any detriment to that purpose then why not (especially if it eases congestion in the rest of the traffic for which there is so much criticism)?

"What complete nonsense, no one is forcing motorcyclists to do any thing."

True, very bad choice of words, but if motorcyclists want to make progress that motorcycling allows them (filtering) they now have to filter through lanes that are even more congested, which is more dangerous. If you decide not to filter you may as well sit there in a car, in the dry, which really isn't what anyone, including the car drivers want... unless they'd prefer it if the queue they were sitting in was even longer... I guess some are that short sighted.

I'm not effected by this at all... but I have had to submit to the absurdity of having a completely empty bus lane I can't use because of safety concerns while overtaking miles of city traffic on the wrong side of the road where oncoming traffic allowed.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Naagh. It's a rule for a few weeks. I have no objection to being excluded from games lanes.

The interesting thing for me (as an M4 motorway user) is the M4 bus lane. I remember when it was introduced and so many people said it was a stupid idea. As a motorcyclist it  was brilliant. Taxis, buses and bikes could progress and, in my use of it, courtesy was shown between all that used it. Then it was scrapped on the reasons of...well I don't know exactly apart from Cameron and Osborne decided it was an idea from a previous Government and must therefore be overturned.

Bring it back full time. It makes alot of sense. 

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Sure is troll in here!

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

working

working

Reply to this Topic