Skip to content

Discuss This Take part in biking research, win cash! General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Take part in biking research, win cash!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Take part in biking research, win cash!

PhD student Sue Brown, a motorcyclist of 38 years, is conducting research into what makes us tick, and the effect of riding on our health and wellbeing. Her web-based survey on men and their motorcycling habits should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete, and you'll even be entered into a draw with a £50 prize just for taking the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 July 2012 17:22)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Effects on health?

Well looking at the Photo ....... !!!!

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Sexist and Misleading

Started this (misleading) health and wellbeing survey. Stopped, when I noticed where it was going with its (limited and sexist) multiple choice questions. Come on Sue, do we really come over as a Neanderthal sub culture, as seen on Jeremy Kyle? Respect is a reciprocal, social interaction, you should try it in your survey's format, you may find you get a more accurate reading!

Reply to this Topic
DaveyM

Aug 03

DaveyM says:

SAme as 69Fastback, I thought it was supposed to be a MOTORCYCLE survey not a phsychiatric one.  Was looking good for a while as well

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

Missing data

Sue, I completed your survey, as I know how hard it is to collect data for postgrad stuff, but if you're going to research the effect of riding on well being, you need to ask how many miles the respondent covers using various forms of transport, and/or how many hours they spend riding each week, as well as other influences on their well being such as the nature of their work, stress factors, etc. I'm sure you know that asking people to tick boxes to self-describe their personality is notoriously unreliable.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

DaveM

I sense that Sue is using her Biker status to access other areas of our lives, hence my Jeremy Kyle reference. Should she succeed, this would appear to be somewhat of an incongruity, as nearly all the Bikers I know, are of  'average and above' intelligence.

Sorry for my cynicism, should I be wrong. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

when did you stop beating your wife

when did you stop beating your wife !!!! i'd say run a mile from this researcher and it's distorted questions/answers.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Sue Brown?

Sue Brown, PhD Research Student; University of Bolton. SJB3HSS@bolton.ac.uk Biography: Before starting a PhD, I spent over 15 years delivering substance misuse treatment (alcohol, drugs, and food). I graduated as a mature student with a BSc, and spent the next 7 years as a substance misuse practitioner working with individuals and groups to achieve long-term recovery. Between September 2002 and January 2011 I was, variously: a Service Manager (Burnley/Chorley Community Alcohol Teams), a regional strategy advisor (NTA/ Home Office Group, Government Office North-West) and, most recently, Head of Performance Management for 3 years with a large, regional third sector substance misuse treatment provider. My main research interests lie with how men's health and wellbeing are influenced by their sociocultural identities.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Me and the wife both did the survey as we both ride but how is a woman supposed to answer the 'man' questions?  and you can't skip those parts so that renders the survey inaccurate!!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

survey

Done the survey. Struggled with the "Adjusting your chain" question, as my bike doesn't have one.

It also misses out the "Self employed" catergory.

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Suspicious

I completed this survey, out of curiousity as it is being conducted, it would seem, by a motorcyclist. It states that its purpose is related to 'health,' but clearly the questions relate to 'RISK.'  There are no questions on lifestyle relating to health, apart from whether you smoke and drink and questions on mood/optimism/pessimism (perhaps to assess how many psychologically dodgey people ride motorcycles, who need to be protected against themselves?) There are certainly questions on how 'macho' you perceive yourself to be and how fast you are prepared to ride on public roads. In a certain frame of reference, even the home maintenance aspect could be viewed as risk taking. I wonder which Big Brother database will swallow this info, either directly, or in the form of an academic treatise presented to..who, exactly?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices