You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Crack/split in rear tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

eamonlaser

Oct 10

eamonlaser says:

Crack/split in rear tyres

Last year, when boarding the ferry back from Scandinavia, a biker in the queue behind us spotted a worrying crack in my girlfriend's rear tyre. We got recovered by our breakdown company and contacted the mechanic who fitted the tyre. He sent it back and after a few weeks we were supplied with a replacement.

Less than a year later the replacement tyre has cracked in exactly the same way. Returning the tyre it got sent back to the manufacturer again who have had it for the past three weeks.

I'm not happy about having a third replacement tyre of the same type fitted as to my mind it's fortunate that both cracks were spotted when we were stationary rather than by an accident investigator...

Additionally it seems to be taking a long time for us to get any response. I can understand the need for the tyre to be checked but this is eating into the few precious days that we are likely to see of British summer!

Pictures of both tyres included. What would you do next? Has anyone seen anything like it before?

Eamon

Attached images:

1. WP_000217  
  2. WP_000362  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 July 2012 14:50)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What tyres

were they, and what bike were they on?

I'm not sure I'd fit a third tyre of the same type - I'd use something else entirely (although I'd still keep tabs on it).

IIRC, Michelin recalled a number of tyres some years back due to a de-lamination risk (ie the tread would peel from the tyre).

What pressures have them tyres been running at?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
eamonlaser

Oct 10

eamonlaser says:

Crack/split in rear tyres

Tyres are Dunlop Arrowmax - don't remember exact detail and the tyre is with Dunlop at the moment, so can't check!

Bike is GPz500S and the tyre has been inflated at 36psi.

I'd like to use something else entirely, but my mechanic says that there are only a few options available for that size of tyre. I don't know what Dunlop might offer us but they accepted the first tyre as having a manufacturer's fault - maybe they'll give us some from another batch. As I'm not in touch with Dunlop directly I'm just waiting for them to get back to the mechanic who fitted the tyre.

I've been searching online but not found any evidence of anyone else with the same problem which seems odd seeing as we've had two in a row.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

thats one nasty crack

your missus has on her rear..................sorry chubby brown moment that i couldnt resist :ph43r::wink::lol:

Reply to this Topic
Kozak

Oct 07

Kozak says:

me too

Same thing happened with mine -Dunlop GT501 on the rear, only had about 500 miles on it, came back from a ride but was a bit of broken glass in the tyre - so I assumed it had been cut even though didn't remember running over any glass. Got another one and a great tyre - for a change this time got Michelin Pilot Activ - which is just as good if not better handling tyre, even in the wet.

Reply to this Topic
eamonlaser

Oct 10

eamonlaser says:

New tyre arrived...

Got the tyre replaced, but as Dunlop had taken so long to get back to me the fitter replaced it with the same type of tyre - he stands to be out of pocket as they are unlikely to pay him for another manufacturer's tyre.

So now I've got the same tyre on the wheel as split on two separate occasions, and I don't think I'm that happy about the idea.

At least I've not paid for it, but I'm more worried than I would be if it was on my bike.

I'm going to try contacting Dunlop directly and see what they say.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

If the fitter is out of pocket then he shoudn`t deal with them,also why didn`t you ask for your money back?

Reply to this Topic
jabba1965

Sep 12

jabba1965 says:

tyres

ive got same problem on same tyres same bike as you but cuts run with tyre not across brought from nationalbiketyres.co.uk and only done 200miles local riding crusing hope they change mine ok

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

No chance i'd have accepted a third of the same brand.
I had similar probs with Avon roadriders, (which were fine on two other bikes I had them on), and had heard a few people with splitting probs on them.
I'd take it back and tell him you're not happy to accept it as you wouldn't dare ride on it for fear of re-occurrence.
Request a refund if necessary, the dealer is well within his rights to get reimbursed from the manufacturer.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle