You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Crack/split in rear tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

eamonlaser

Oct 10

eamonlaser says:

Crack/split in rear tyres

Last year, when boarding the ferry back from Scandinavia, a biker in the queue behind us spotted a worrying crack in my girlfriend's rear tyre. We got recovered by our breakdown company and contacted the mechanic who fitted the tyre. He sent it back and after a few weeks we were supplied with a replacement.

Less than a year later the replacement tyre has cracked in exactly the same way. Returning the tyre it got sent back to the manufacturer again who have had it for the past three weeks.

I'm not happy about having a third replacement tyre of the same type fitted as to my mind it's fortunate that both cracks were spotted when we were stationary rather than by an accident investigator...

Additionally it seems to be taking a long time for us to get any response. I can understand the need for the tyre to be checked but this is eating into the few precious days that we are likely to see of British summer!

Pictures of both tyres included. What would you do next? Has anyone seen anything like it before?

Eamon

Attached images:

1. WP_000217  
  2. WP_000362  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 July 2012 14:50)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eamonlaser

Oct 10

eamonlaser says:

Tyres

I didn't want to accept a 3rd tyre the same, but we rely on the bikes as day-to-day transport and there's only so long you can wait with a one wheeled bike in the garage getting in the way...

I actually phoned Dunlop and they said that there is no chance of the tyre carcass breaking up and causing accident. He also said he'd not seen any more reports of this and that it sounded like we'd just been "unlucky". He asked me about tyre pressures, how much my girlfriend weighs (8 stone) and agreed no problems there. He then said that it had probably been caused by the literally 1 or 2 occasions where she had taken me as pillion and not adjusted the tyre pressure... I said that I thought this was unlikely unless a tyre will be damaged by running a couple of psi under inflated for about 4 miles twice a year, but he then went on to tell me about tyre flexing so many thousand times a mile (or something - I drifted off a bit here). He wasn't going to budge and I didn't know what else to do so we left it at that.

I'm keeping a very close eye on it now and the first sign of any trouble I won't bother going back to the dealer; I'll just go straight back to Dunlop. I've not been pillion since (just in case).

I'm not happy but don't really know what to do. I'm probably a bit too British to complain loudly enough to get anything done about it, I think! :huh:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cracks

As my first post.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN