Skip to content

Discuss This US MotoGP: Valentino Rossi talks about potential Yamaha return MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > US MotoGP: Valentino Rossi talks about potential Yamaha return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

US MotoGP: Valentino Rossi talks about potential Yamaha return

Valentino Rossi has given his views on a potential return to Yamaha’s factory squad in 2013, with speculation rampant in Laguna Seca that he will reject a new two-year offer to remain with Ducati. Rossi has been negotiating with Yamaha and a return to partner bitter rival Jorge Lorenzo could even be confirmed prior to the next round in Indianapolis. Rossi left...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 July 2012 07:59)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
agent55

Nov 10

agent55 says:

MCN interview?

Did MCN actually conduct this interview or did they just slap their name on it?

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Dorna buying time

Stoner gone for 2013 at least. GP need the drawcard that Rossi is. They need him to be on a bike he perceives to be competitive on for his riding style,thus ensuring he can compete up front. I can't see him being up front on an M1 either right now, given that he's not head shoulders outstripping his fellow Ducati riders.

Dorna will want him alongside Lorenzo next year to buy some viewership points for GP. I really don't think Yamaha want him back,but the GP financial crisis might force their hand,

Anyway he's stuck himself between a rock and a hard place. Lose at Ducati,lose at Yamaha.

I do feel sorry for blokes like Dovi and Cal having to await Rossi's decision before they can put pen to paper. But thats the way the cookie crumbles within the MotoGP crumbling empire.

I'm looking forward to the can of worms Spies may open regarding the state of the sport.

Reply to this Topic
acanada46

Aug 11

acanada46 says:

nostrodamus

After all I did for Yamaha they put in the team a very strong team-mate so I was p****d off with Yamaha more than him"

Then rossi says ". Now it is a different situation and I understand that Yamaha made the right choice for Yamaha. This is not a big problem.”

Poor Vale was left with no option to pick up his bat and slouch off to the red corner where his true skill level has been brutally exposed.

Spoken like a true bitter twisted aussie stoner lover.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

The problem for Ducati..

..is if Rossi were to go back to Yamaha and start winning again, the critics would be vindicated in having exposed the bike for the obvious dog it apparently is. Del Torchio and his band of merry men are frantically trying to put the brakes on this likely outcome, as the negative spin would be terrible for the factory and only cement Stoner's reputation even further. 17 million Euro's thrown on the table are there to save face, not necessarily for Rossi's benefit..!

Reply to this Topic
indiekid1986

Jul 11

indiekid1986 says:

Rossi is a

great rider. No denying it. But he can't ride that Ducati in it's current form. Even Hayden who has had a few more seasons on it struggles from time to time. Yes Stoner did OK I think due to his brutal riding style. The bike is at fault. All any fan of Moto GP should want is Rossi back fighting at the front not fighting for control of his bike. As a fan of the sport I would love to see Rossi winning on a Ducati for the achievement of winning races on all three factory team bikes. But I can't see it. Really any true fan of the sport should want loads of people at the front fighting for a podium. Dare I say MotoGP is getting a little F1-ish. Stale and predictable.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

On the other hand

Should Rossi get back on the M1 and post Military Medium results  vs Lorenzo,the genie is out of the bottle. If he goes and Calvin signs for team red .

All ifs and buts. I don't know how this thing will pan out, but from a business point of view I would want to retain # 46. It simply goes about accounting. Investment and returns.

The popularity stakes should see him retained as an economic asset for the company.

Herein lies the issue. Is it about profit or competion on any given Sunday ?

Conflict of interests.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Interesting theory CH

After 2 years of stagnation, why would they want to continue to pay him this huge 'consultancy fee' when Hayden is getting more out of the bike and finally got the result he deserved (in terms of Ducati positions)

But is that Ducati really such an outright dog?

Is it possible they could still get someone else who could make more of it?

Hayden, who no-one seems to rate as a winner (in the same terms as say Lorenzo, Stoner, Pedrosa) was running lap times very similar to the Tech3 bikes and not far off Spies (granted, we don't know if his times were affected by his bike, but he had picked his pace up for the few laps before his crash, so assume not)

Saying that Hayden's pace was similar to the Tech3 bikes may not sound any great shakes when it is a factory bike, but, the Yamaha is a very capable well rounded bike, even in satellite form and appears to be the class of the field.

So, if Hayden can get the Ducati on the same pace as the Tech3 bikes and just shy of the pace of one of the Factory Yams, is it fair to assume that a better rider could place the bike higher? The rationale for that is that we see what the Factory Yam is capable of with Lorenzo on it, but if it was just Spies we wouldn't. Ditto the Ducati, if Hayden can run the lap times he was, could someone else do better?

Are we seeing the full potential of the Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Yeah its bad when someone does that...

"Poor Vale was left with no option to pick up his bat and slouch off to the red corner"

...particularly when they take their bat all the way home and refuse to play at all. I mean, that really is fkn sad!

Reply to this Topic
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

I don't buy it Bultoboy

Why it is an interesting question, I think the Ducati isn't a match for the Honda or Yamaha no matter the rider. It just hasn't had the amount of work, fine tuning, and development as the Jap bikes. Yamaha and Honda have been working on their 1000cc bikes since the beginning of last year. Ducati has started over like 2 or 3 times since then. They took their first 1000cc bike they were testing and stuff an 800cc in it and named it the GP11.1 or something. I really don't recall them doing any other 1000cc test after that until the end of season test at Valencia. And at Valencia they had a new 1000cc with the twin beam frame. And then after Christmas they said they had another bike that was "90%" new or something. And this weekend was the first time we even heard of them getting any new updates since preseason. I can't see how their bike can be on par with Yamaha and Honda.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Only Stoner was a match for the Honda and Yamaha during his time at Ducati.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices