You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Pillion knee problems

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

happydayz7

Jul 12

happydayz7 says:

Pillion knee problems

Hi there. I was hoping someone could help or suggest some equipment or clothing that may help with my knee problems?

I ride pillion on my boyfriends Suzuki GSX 1250 and he's a great rider, no safety concerns at all and I'm a very happy pillion :o)
However, recently my knees have started causing me huge problems (I'm only 28!) so much so that we have to stop every 20-30 mins so I can stretch out my legs which is unbelievably painful but subsides fairly quickly when my knees kind of pop. Sounds gross and it is doctor-worthy, but we had wondered if there is anything that could help protect my knees since they are the furthest part outside of the bike. I had thought that trying to put soft protective items in-between my knee pads and my legs could help but the pain still builds up.
So yeah, if anyone has had the same or knows of something that could help it would be great to hear. I don't want to stop going on the bike but equally I don't want to ruin my boyfriends riding time.
Thanks in advance!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 July 2012 13:01)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

knees up

Sounds like you`ve tight clothing around the knee area,you should be able to move the clothing around this area when sat on the bike.

You may benefit with adjustable foot pegs so that your knees don`t touch your chin,(slight exaggeration).

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hmm

my girly just takes her foot off the peg and straightens them one at a time while am riding,seems to work for her!.If no go then try some light knee squats,put your back against a wall and lower your body down until your knees are bent at 45% hold for 10 seconds,repeat about five times do Daley(try other knee exercises).Also eat lots of oily fish(three times a week)and seek out a good multivitamin and mineral supplement colloidal which is a liquid not a pill,as this is the only type which is 95-98% absorbable,if none of that works then i don't:mellow: 

Oh and hi Happydayz7 and welcome to the site:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Mine had the same trouble...

On the old gsx650F we used to have to stop every whipstitch for her to stretch her legs.  Was ok for the first 100 miles or so, but pretty grim after that.   On the FJR she's fine - it's just that there's a heck of a lot more space to make the legs comfortable.  

If your pegs are already on max adjustment, it's kind of tough to suggest anything that would work for a long distance, sorry.

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

yeah mine had the same problem

she wasnt flexible enough to have her knee's raised apart and legs open for any long period of time..................my fix..............get a younger model:wink::lol::lol::lol: 

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Let the poor bugger go out on his own

He probably got the bike for some quality man time, and now you go out with him and he's lost the chance

:wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle