Skip to content

Discuss This Hein Gericke UK placed into Administration General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hein Gericke UK placed into Administration

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Davidson  says:

Hein Gericke UK placed into Administration

Hein Gericke UK has been placed into administration with buyers for the British arm of the German parent company now being sought. The administrators, Moorfields Corporate Recovery are looking to sell the business and have invited interested parties to get in touch by Monday 6th August. Simon Thomas, of Moorfields said “While on-going economic pressures have affected sales in recent years...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 July 2012 11:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ash23osy

Jul 09

ash23osy says:

HG into admin

Hmmm not that suprised really. In short, good quality kit (I have bought plenty from my local branch) but WAY too expensive. Also, customer service not great, sold my dad a £700 Schuberth bluetooth helmet after a reluctant demo then stuck a random 2nd hand charger in the box because they couldnt find the original. Poor. I think there is still great merit in being able to see and feel what you buy though, (esp clothing/helmets) but they just have to up their game and compete in a competitive marketplace to stay ahead which I think is possible. Just think: competitive pricing, customer service.

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Piroflip

Not sure where you've seen new R1's for $12,000 mate.. They are $14,000 plus.

Our exchange rate just makes them seem so much better value (about $1.58 to the GBP). 

You can buy new pre-reg's in this country for about £10k.  So that's only a difference of £1500.00 against the US.  Not that outlandish.  Not so long ago you could pick up an 08 09 model (pre big bang) for £7999 from places like DK.  it's not just the tax that makes them so expensive these days.  Lack of competition pushes prices up to increase profit margin.  With the recession the factories are charging more to the overseas dealers, the import tax hasn't really changed that much.

Yes, tax is fricking evil mate - but it's not quite rip off Britain.  Go and live in France, Germany, US or Australia and donate a minimum fo 50% for the lower rate (up to 75% if you're a millionaire!)

Side note: HG is quality.  But people just do not want to pay for quality goods.  Quality comes from R&D, marketing, cost of materials and a fitting room.  In this world you get for what you pay and people just want eBay then complain at the quality.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/27009/Buyers-Guide-Specifications/2012-Yamaha-YZF-R1.aspx

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

Sad news but not too big a surprise, it has always been great gear but way over-priced.  Not such a problem in good times but for the last few years in recession they continued on the same path. They seemed to be more interested in getting one sale of £500 rather than quite a lot at £100. The surviving retailers that are thriving like Primark & Poundland are where customers are going nowadays, people seem to want cheap and less quality. Even at the NEC the HG stand was nowhere near as busy as many others – the other gear was not of the same quality but the prices were half too and that’s what people have wanted the past few years. Shame they didn’t stop to think because another retailer bites the dust and it means less choice for customers. The bike industry is in a bad way all round at the moment, 2 major factories lost in motogp and a third without a major sponsor. Bad times.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

SAD

Its quite sad to see HG going iinto administration.

They sell good quality kit at resenable prices. To all you guys who are saying they are rip off sorry but you are wrong.

You get what you pay for if you want crap buy off ebay. if you want quality then go to the shop and feel they goods and try them on.

I spent £1000 on new kit from head to toe all gortex well worth it as i ride in all weathers

Reply to this Topic
magpiemale

May 06

magpiemale says:

overpriced ?

I think Hein gericke going is sad I bought a nice gore tex summit suit shame.As for them being overpriced ? I don't think so if you take the time to flick through their catalogue you will find jackets from £80 or so up to £500 but as has been said you get what you pay for your not going to get gore tex jackets for £80 or £110 but you will get sheltex (a form of waterproofing) their boots were decent to and gloves not overly priced.my northampton store was doing well enough just Hein gericke wanting more n more sales targets not achievable in the current climate. Magpiemale

Reply to this Topic
magpiemale

May 06

magpiemale says:

overpriced ?

I think Hein gericke going is sad I bought a nice gore tex summit suit shame.As for them being overpriced ? I don't think so if you take the time to flick through their catalogue you will find jackets from £80 or so up to £500 but as has been said you get what you pay for your not going to get gore tex jackets for £80 or £110 but you will get sheltex (a form of waterproofing) their boots were decent to and gloves not overly priced.my northampton store was doing well enough just Hein gericke wanting more n more sales targets not achievable in the current climate. Magpiemale

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

sad news and i hope it can be rescued to save people jobs

but got to say there pricing was off everytime i went in this year the bike shop down the road from my local hg was always cheeper on like for like stuff as much as 20-25 on boots and gloves for alpinstar and last time i went it all they had was black or hi viz tex suits and im sure ebay back room sellers havent help 

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Sad news

HG gear is generally well made, value for money and their sizes fit me.  Always found the staff very knowledgable and helpful.  While dropping £400+ on a jacket made me wince, the quality of manufacture justified the price.  It may be "expensive" and heavry, but I would trust it over from £50 flea-Bay jacket in the event of an off.  And if you think HG is pricey - check out premium brands like Aerostitch.

You get what you pay for, as they say.

I hope they can find a saviour as there is no other brand in the UK that I can think of which supplies the same quality/price balance.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Sounds like bad news

according to an email I received, there's a closing down sale kicking off - I can only presume the admin haven't found anyone to take over the business.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Sad news indeed

With our diminishing bike market, I for one am very sad to see a good supplier go. As a commuter I greatly valued their quality waterproofs and will find it difficult to find decent kit now. I always found them good value and will visit their closing down sale with some sadness. Shame.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices