Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Will older bikes be dangerous at the limit? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Will older bikes be dangerous at the limit?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Will older bikes be dangerous at the limit?

I'm a wannabe sportsbike rider with a small budget. I want to learn to ride fast but I'm concerned that the 10-15 year old sportsbikes I can afford are worn out and will be dangerous at the limit. Am I right to worry? And how can I spot a motorcycle that's past its prime? Your advice could help. Leave your comments below...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 July 2012 17:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
JSKawasaki

Aug 12

JSKawasaki says:

It depends how mechanically minded you are and how much time you have to spend on maintenance. I bought a non-running GPZ500 off ebay (£400) and all it needed was a carb refurb to get running. I've since renewed the battery and upgraded the brake hoses to braided (ESSENTIAL on the GPZ to make it stop) and now it goes like stink (in my opinion). 15yrs old with 17k on the clock, absolute bargain! And a good bike to start with! You'll probably find your limits before the limits of the bike!

Reply to this Topic
JKF011

Oct 11

JKF011 says:

Not a concern at all...

1. As, evidently, a new rider you are unlikely to explore and/or fine "the limit." You sound like you might find YOUR limits rather quickly.Aassuming you take it seriously and learn from these "adventures" and aren't killed or otherwise shattered any sportbike since at least the early nineties with provide you plenty of safe fun.

2. BIKE mag argued a whiole back that the pursuit of raw horsepower has made these bike actutally less fun tio ride and slower for the average road rider than bikes from the '90s.

3. As for you mates...if, as I fear, they ride like adrenaline-fueled nobs you're likely find yourself and your bike in a hedge (or wiorse) "competing" with them. My advice is to always ride alone (at least at first), ride at YOUR pace, and take as much advanced training as possble ASAP.

Regardless, YOU will niot be able to tell the difference between the latest, greatest, and a 20 yr old sportsbike.

Cheers

John

Reply to this Topic
shallwedance

Aug 11

shallwedance says:

old bikes

all the brakes will be rubbish on all models

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

no

Not neccesarily

if a bike has a full service history and been well looked aftter you can bag a realy top notch bargin

You can always up grade things like brakes ,Air fillters , A remap and an end can 

Also the modern tyres are so different from the tyres of 10-15 years ago and can give so much feed back.

Remember to set up the suspension to yourself and you should have a cracking bike that will handle at all speeds  

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

like i think jumping on any bike you don't know and exploring the limits could be considered dangerour. But get a good base bike that you can live with for a few years, with a good sounding / running engine with a nice gear change action and a fully working non slipping clutch , then over time (like a year or two) replace all the bearings, wheel / head / swingarm and check all/any linkages, then either upgrade the calipers or replace all the caliper piston seals, replace the fork seals & inner bushes, then fit an aftermarket rear shock, it will be better than when it came out of the factory and it will be no more dangerous, also after doing all that work it might even be worth more money, but it will be your bike.   

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Maintainence

As been mentioned is the key. I've seen 2 year old bikes that have been wheelied, abused, bodged that are far more worn out than a well maintained older bike. My RSV I've had 6 years and 60,000 miles. It has been maintained, and up to being knocked off it 6 weeks back, was running, riding as good as new. In that time, it's just had fork seals, and new bearings in the rear shock linkages, which were changed while fitting new chain & sprockets just because of the mileage, but in fact had no wear in them.

You do get a feeling for how a bikes been treated when you've been around them a few years, but that comes with experience. I've had some dogs when younger. (mainly from dodgy dealers).

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Older bikes

I have a GIXER 750 on a T plate and its done 15k and regularly leaves my mates trailing in its wake. 

Make sure its been looked after and as with all purchases "buyer beware"

Reply to this Topic
maculopathy

Mar 10

maculopathy says:

I am a would be statistic , how long before I crash trying to find "the limit"

jeees, is this the attitude we want to cultivate ??????????

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

norris...

I am so encouraged by your post regarding the RSV1000R with 60000 miles as a year ago I bought a MINT 5672 miles 2005 model RSV1000R with a view to keeping it for a long time. It's been 100% reliable so far and I love it.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

SNEV

Only thing you need to remember, keep the battery up to charge, as you can damage the starter clutch if it kicks back. Never had a problem with mine as I've always made sure its been on an optimate overnight if its been left more than a couple3 of days.

Like you, I'd no intention of selling it, and up to the accident was running like new.img207.imageshack.us/img207/4033/1100q.jpg

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle