Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Will older bikes be dangerous at the limit? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Will older bikes be dangerous at the limit?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Will older bikes be dangerous at the limit?

I'm a wannabe sportsbike rider with a small budget. I want to learn to ride fast but I'm concerned that the 10-15 year old sportsbikes I can afford are worn out and will be dangerous at the limit. Am I right to worry? And how can I spot a motorcycle that's past its prime? Your advice could help. Leave your comments below...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 July 2012 17:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
krustchoff

Feb 11

krustchoff says:

old school

it about maitntenance and the expected lifespance of certain parts.know if i am going to be bombing about  on a high powered motorcycle i,ve cheched every nut and bolt and replaced where necessary worn out components

it,s your life in your hands so take time to make sure everything works and maintain it well you,ll be ok.

every time i wash my bike i maticulously check everything for cracks or signs of wear etc.

Reply to this Topic
Hwystr

Nov 10

Hwystr says:

Suggest you learn how to ride safely rather than trying to find "the limit".......many before you have died trying. 

Reply to this Topic
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

I've ridden daily since passing my test in 1970.

My bike is over ten years old.

But I reach my limit long before that of the bike.

Learn to stay alive first, then if you still want to, learn the "limit" on a track.

Welcome to biking hope you stick around a long time and have fun.

Reply to this Topic
trackdayfreak

Oct 11

Older bikes

I ride a 1996 CBR 900 RRT Fireblade it still goes well,steers,stops and is 100% reliable.

It has now done 35,500 miles with no problems other than needing a new clutch,tyres chain and sprockets,brake pads,etc i.e normal consumables,it has been serviced regularly,next job is shimming up tappets and carb balance as this is a little overdue,it still runs sweet as a nut though!

As other people have said older bikes are not a problem as long as worn out parts are replaced as and when required.

When cleaning your bike keep a close eye out for oil leaks,leaking fork seals,leaking brake hoses,loose bolts and worn out parts.etc and always check your bike over before riding checking for loose parts checking chain adjustment and tyre inflation plus light operation,brakepad wear,etc.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

Old CBRs

Nothing wrong with older bikes provided they've got the invoices to prove they've been looked after. If you're buying privately, pay for a professional inspection or my preference buy it from a REPUTABLE garage and make sure it's been serviced, mot'd and has some kind of warranty. The old CBRs are superb bikes, cheap to run and get parts for.

Reply to this Topic
pyeo

Aug 02

pyeo says:

Ease up

All bikes are dangerous at the limit. That's why it's called the limit.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices