Skip to content

Ask an Expert strange handling on 2010 CBR600RR Suspension

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > strange handling on 2010 CBR600RR

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mickeynoodle

Apr 09

mickeynoodle says:

strange handling on 2010 CBR600RR

My girlfriend has a problem with her bike, and this is what she says -

My bike is feeling a bit odd, started with some bumpiness at front, became worse after a new front tyre and plugged puncture at rear. Dealers checked bike, said nothing wrong, suggested suspension not right for me (odd as I’ve had the bike 2 years). I test rode another similar age CBR6, which felt ok, so because I was unhappy they replaced the new front tyre and I bought new rear as they said wear could affect handling, although they had suggested plugging it = new pair of BT016.

I’m sure my bike was fine before tyre milarky, but now although second new front tyre is less bumpy, its still there, joined by occasional bouncing at back (caused by front?), plus a vague feeling at the front, drifting feeling from rear tyre on dual carriageway, it holds a line around corners but altogether doesn’t inspire me with feelings of confidence.

The bike has done just under 8000 miles so I don’t think anything should be overly worn on it yet. Perhaps I should I have gone for the OE BT015s, could that be the problem.

This is my 12th bike, I had earlier versions of the other sports 600s and never felt anything weird with any of them (except the ZX6, yuk), but previous to this bike I had a year 2000 R1 for 8 years, perhaps that spoiled my judgement? Or perhaps me and Honda don’t get on.

I’m female, quite petite and 8 stone (I don’t know that in kilos sorry), the big dilemma for me is whether to spend money having the suspension professionally adjusted to see if that makes a difference or to buy a different bike!

Has anyone experienced similar problems, or got any ideas?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 July 2012 23:46)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Are

them new tyres at the right pressure, and balanced?

Out-of-pressure tyres can cause weird handling.

Not impossible either that something's been missed out by your tyre fitter in re-assembling the bike.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

What tyres are fitted to the other test ride bike?

Also the new tyres could be less flexible so what`s the tyre pressures on them?

I`m hoping you have the correct tyre sizes but what are they?

Also as AdieR says have they got any balanced weights on them rims?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBR600RR 2010

Hi Mickynoodle

Most Japanese bikes are set up for 11-11-5 stone riders,so if your only 8 stone and your friend is much the same i would suggest this is always going to be a problem of to harder springs both front and rear and over damping.With your weight this will also make tyre brand make and type a lot more sensitive to set up.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

P.S. what area of Britain do you live?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

cbr handling

Vague handling = low tyre pressures.

Bumpy front = unbalanced wheel.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Girlfriend's bike.

It seems like she's never been happy with it:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=390280&message-id=4378900&__ia=message4378900#message4378900

To start with, as others have said, I'd check that the suspension settings and tyre pressures are as recommended by the bike and tyre manufacturer respectively. If the settings are as specified then at 8 stone it might be worth tweaking a bit (-the preload, at least), although as kcmc says, its really down to the springs. Has her weight never been a problem on the 12 other bikes she's owned?

Have you ridden the CBR yourself, mickeynoodle? If not I'd think about getting another bike shop to give a second opinion after a brief workshop examination and test ride.

It's low mileage but I wonder if the head or wheel bearings are worn, possibly due to insufficient grease on assembly (or aggressive jet washing?). Notchy head bearings make a bike feel crap, although a good workshop ought to be able to assess this very easily.

Apart from tyres was there a particular event or change which initiated this "bumpy at the front" feel? Were BT016s on the bike originally?

The "drifting feeling from rear tyre on dual carriageway" comment seems odd and I wonder if the real problem is a loss of confidence in the bike (brought on by some event) rather than a real bike handling problem. It happens, and when it does the rider fights the bike and spoils it, or anxiously over-analyses everything.

Hope she gets it sorted.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Rear wheel alignment?

Could have been upset on refitting the rear after plugging - that seems to be when latest issue started - but would it still be wrong again after changing both?  Could the fitter have relied on duff markings - if in doubt check with a pair of straight edges.

I'd be worried about plugging a tyre for a sportsbike, Dunlop reckon only in the centre, only for small perpendicular holes and never to go over 75mph afterwards anyway - surprised Bridgestone don't issue give such caveats and I thought they did last time I had a holed one.

Bumpy?  Has anyone cranked up the damping?  BT015/016 seem stiff until really hot - sports touring tyres like Dunlop RoadSmarts have a more compliant less harsh (bumpy?) feel.  The tyre is the only suspension for the unsprung masses, so it make a huge difference.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

strange

I agree bb but we are talking to ourselves.

Is mickey taking the mickey?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

jaffa

taking the mickey? Maybe, but who can resist a petite 8 stone CBR600RR lass with a bumpy front and a wobbly rear...

Reply to this Topic
mickeynoodle

Apr 09

mickeynoodle says:

thanks

Mickey's girlfriend here -

Thanks for all the thoughts on this!

Mickey isn’t taking the mickey, although I’m glad if you are enjoying my bumpy front and wobbly rear, but actually I am currently considering the various suggestions kindly given.

The tyres are definitely correct sizes, pressures and balanced, and I do trust this mechanic, he takes his work seriously and always test rides any bike he has worked on.

The other CBR I rode had Dunlop Qualifiers, perhaps I prefer the feel of them.

I’m considering taking the bike to a suspension expert to see if settings need adjustment as to be fair, my weight was an issue on the R1, it needed a bit of adjustment to get it right for me, although that was the only bike I had suspension issues on before, despite my petite (weedy) size.

Perhaps I have lost some confidence and am starting to over-analyse everything!

PS mickey says hands off the rear, its mine!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pressure

You no answer what pressures your using.:blink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN