Skip to content

Ask an Expert strange handling on 2010 CBR600RR Suspension

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > strange handling on 2010 CBR600RR

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mickeynoodle

Apr 09

mickeynoodle says:

strange handling on 2010 CBR600RR

My girlfriend has a problem with her bike, and this is what she says -

My bike is feeling a bit odd, started with some bumpiness at front, became worse after a new front tyre and plugged puncture at rear. Dealers checked bike, said nothing wrong, suggested suspension not right for me (odd as I’ve had the bike 2 years). I test rode another similar age CBR6, which felt ok, so because I was unhappy they replaced the new front tyre and I bought new rear as they said wear could affect handling, although they had suggested plugging it = new pair of BT016.

I’m sure my bike was fine before tyre milarky, but now although second new front tyre is less bumpy, its still there, joined by occasional bouncing at back (caused by front?), plus a vague feeling at the front, drifting feeling from rear tyre on dual carriageway, it holds a line around corners but altogether doesn’t inspire me with feelings of confidence.

The bike has done just under 8000 miles so I don’t think anything should be overly worn on it yet. Perhaps I should I have gone for the OE BT015s, could that be the problem.

This is my 12th bike, I had earlier versions of the other sports 600s and never felt anything weird with any of them (except the ZX6, yuk), but previous to this bike I had a year 2000 R1 for 8 years, perhaps that spoiled my judgement? Or perhaps me and Honda don’t get on.

I’m female, quite petite and 8 stone (I don’t know that in kilos sorry), the big dilemma for me is whether to spend money having the suspension professionally adjusted to see if that makes a difference or to buy a different bike!

Has anyone experienced similar problems, or got any ideas?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 July 2012 23:46)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Boots to suit riding style, weather?

Bridgestone sports tyres - carcasses hard as rock until hot.  Think sun-drenched track, big inputs, 31/28 psi cold, re-inflated by heat, the same heat that softens the carcasses, tread too hot to touch, grip like Evo-stick.. ..nice!

Cold UK roads, more restrained inputs, standard 36/42 psi barely rising behind stiff carcasses - vagulely warm compound, harsh and squirmy.. ..yuk.

Static pressures mean little without knowing how they're going to be used...

The first review I looked at mentions various aspects of the Qualifiers that might suit you better than the BT016 - more compliant carcass and taller profile equals smoother and less squirmy:

For me, on the road, sports-touring works better, feels better.

Reply to this Topic
mickeynoodle

Apr 09

mickeynoodle says:

perhaps its the tyres then

Mickey's girlfriend here again

I’m running the “correct” road pressures 36 front and 42 rear, this was fine with  the OE BT015s, perhaps they had a softer carcass, I think I might try running them a bit softer, I used to do that with Michelin Pilot Sports on the R1 they were quite hard to warm up. I’m surprised the Bridgestone has a harder carcass than the Dunlops, I was convinced that would be the other way round, the article in Sportrider makes interesting reading, starting to think I'll choose Qualifiers next time, haven't always been a fan of Dunlops tho, I had 208s in the past, and had to have 2 front tyres replaced because they were faulty, I still have the apology letters from Dunlop!

Intending to get out on the bike tomorrow and try lower tyre pressures, see how that affects things.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pressures

No such thing as correct pressures,

it`s recommended pressures,

tyres are part of the suspension so fit the tyres you like or if not try diff pressures as you say.  

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Pressure sounds

too high - unless your running 2-up or loaded.

Pressures given on my Fazer are 33F / 36R for normal running and 36 / 42 loaded.

If your pressures are high, your tyres won't warm up properly.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices