Skip to content

General Help me choose HD/BMW/Honda Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Help me choose HD/BMW/Honda

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

daytripper

Jun 12

daytripper says:

Help me choose HD/BMW/Honda

I'm looking at the following used bikes in the price range of £8-10K

HD V-Rod VRSCF

BMW R1200RT

Honda ST1300 Pan European

I plan on doing one long distance tour a year supplemented by a number of shorter day trips on weekends.

I love the look of the V-Rod but wonder about the practicalities, suitability and reliability for what I want if for. Also the required fairing and panniers may change to look considerably.

As for the RT and ST I’m sure either would be great but not bold-over either way.

I’m looking for constructive or unconstructive comments ( :winkie: ) and view to help me make up my mind.

TIA

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 August 2012 17:52)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

If

:wink:The V-Rod is pulling at your heart strings,go for it. It'll handle a tour fine,same as any bike will really.

If you want an out and out tourer from those 3,it's the BMW,simple as that.  Not that the honda is a bad bike,far from it in fact,but long term you'll be better off with the BM. Selling on will prove it's worth when,and if the time comes.

Basically,any of these bikes are reliable,so that isn't an issue,but ultimately,buy the one that makes you feel good when you ride it,and just as importantly,look at it. Shallow maybe,but that matters

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

that is

a curve ball with the first choice against the other two!  Personally think the last two are pukka full on, Euro tour bikes, probably wasted on a day out?, plenty of other less heavy duty (and cheaper alternatives) for that........if you are really drawn to the HD (i like 'em too!) leave it as is, it'll look ferking naff with a screen and panniers, and make do!!  :smile

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

No good asking me

I'm a bit biased. But I just have to say no to a fairing on a V-Rod. No, no, no, no. It's just wrong.

Buy it if you love it, but otherwise buy the Honda. I think it might be a better idea.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

I agree with Beelady

screened VRods are just bad. If you want VRod-esque cruiser styling (over traditional Harley stling) and touring ability, you may be better off with one of the "metric" cruisers (ie: Japanese).
Having a full-on tourer does make you feel a bit like you should be riding to Spain and back every time you throw a leg over.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

easy

what type of person are you

V rod = try hard wanna be young and cool but realy a old fart and like to tour from a brakedown truck

BEAMER  = old fart and knows it dont forget the depend incontinant knickers

HONDA PAN = wanna be a look alike cop try hard

my advice for what its worth GSX 1400  great bike great for touring long and short  and not out of place if you want to  fang it

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Hmm

Have a beemer - love it.

Never fancied a Pan.

Now - those V-Rods..... (Night Rod) - there's something about them.....

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

test ride

i would get a decent test ride on all bikes if you can . then you can make a better choice.good luck

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

brutale

GSX1400 never ever thought id say this but yer right best bike i have ever had the pleasure of doing distance on, absolutely awe inspiring and that roll on from 25 mph in top gear fully laden is addictive ffs id have to knock it down four to get the amout of liquid drive.

Reply to this Topic
daytripper

Jun 12

daytripper says:

Made me laugh

:lol: Nice summary, i'll have a look at the GSX, Thanks!

Reply to this Topic
daytripper

Jun 12

daytripper says:

All

Thanks for the "steer" and comments.

I'm defo looking at going where the heart is (HD) now....................maybe with a trailer for the long trip and to keep the looks? :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

:doubt: :hmmm: Never had a trailer before, so not sure how it ride, but I might be able to get a glass body match done? LOL

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices