Skip to content

General Help me choose HD/BMW/Honda Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Help me choose HD/BMW/Honda

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

daytripper

Jun 12

daytripper says:

Help me choose HD/BMW/Honda

I'm looking at the following used bikes in the price range of £8-10K

HD V-Rod VRSCF

BMW R1200RT

Honda ST1300 Pan European

I plan on doing one long distance tour a year supplemented by a number of shorter day trips on weekends.

I love the look of the V-Rod but wonder about the practicalities, suitability and reliability for what I want if for. Also the required fairing and panniers may change to look considerably.

As for the RT and ST I’m sure either would be great but not bold-over either way.

I’m looking for constructive or unconstructive comments ( :winkie: ) and view to help me make up my mind.

TIA

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 August 2012 17:52)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

babyrocket

see i dont always talk crap just 99% of the time :lol:

Reply to this Topic
Jockneyranger

Jul 12

What dyou actually need..?

Are you basing the "need" for a Pan or a Beemer on reviews (they are both terrific bikes) or on your actual needs? I have a GSX1250FA ST and after looking at the likes of KT or a Pan realised what would actually suit me better was a Sports Tourer. I can take the panniers off and have a blast when I feel like it or pop them on and run the full length of Britain in a day with no fuss whatsoever. I bought one brand new for about half the price of either of those prestige marques. 

My advice is have a think of what you'll actually use it for and then decide what you need, rather than what you think you should buy. It could save you a bundle and if it's the right bike, you'll be on it more than not! Happy trails!

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

HD!

Hooray! He's heading in the right direction :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

No he's not....

he's talking trailers.

why bother?

he could have bought a volvo tractor unit and 40 foot trailer for the same money.:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Shhh.Never mind the trailer

We can put a stop to that idea  after he's got the bike.:roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic
daytripper

Jun 12

daytripper says:

My need.....

...hmmm I guess when boiling all the guff down it's:-

- reliable

- "Tina, crust of bread"(cockney)

- short trip (day or weekend) cruiser that can go touring(week(s))?

Tough call, I know and anyway don't you get a better view from a "tour from a brakedown truck" ( brutale r) ?

Reply to this Topic
scorps

Jan 03

scorps says:

well

Id have a VRod in a heartbeat.

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

scorps

you only need just a heart beat for a hardley +AA membership :lol:

Reply to this Topic
daytripper

Jun 12

daytripper says:

Breakdowns

Brutale r - you seem have had a DFE with HD. What happened? :unsure:.

:lol: Go on share it with us, make us laugh, you know you want too! :lol:

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

i have had

3 hardlies

1945 hand change kin awesome bike  never had so much fun with my hands outside me undies lol this never let me down 7 kicks and start

then had a 1982 was only 6 months old evo 3 months 7 belts  i fire would not go round a corner  brokedown every 150 miles

borrowed a fatboy should be renamed fatfukincowinbitch

70mph M1 luton dead straight chucked me off wrote it off  cop sitting behind me thought i decided to jump off  took 2 yrs to pay it off to my mate

my 3rd harley was a knuckle 70s style chop just like easy rider  i rode it 5 miles then sold it

but the main thing that 99% of hardly riders are guilty of ...looking like tryhards  IE  take  mr normal no tats no goatie or beard no ponytail and wears normal gear and 40+

then he gets a harley 3 months later coverd in deaths head tats hardley tats love and hate tatts he then has a goatie wrap around sunnies mainly mirrored, then the start of a rats tail

then comes the gear hardley boots jocks sox  leather jeans or chaps brando style jacket with a cut off over it with im tough patches on it  and his buck knife on his belt and a letterman..... then he opens his mouth  and its all cool dude man  buddy with a slight yank twang while drinking caffe lattie,s with soya low fat half strength no sugar with the healthy choice salad wrap  while trying to pick up the nearest 16yr old hopefully girl

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices