Skip to content

Ask an Expert passing ns to ns at traffic lights Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > passing ns to ns at traffic lights

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

paulieLplates

Jun 12

passing ns to ns at traffic lights

HI. I understand at traffic lights its better when turning right to pass the car on the offside so you get a better view to turning right.  however I been driving 20 yrs and very rarely see this happen.  how would I instigate such a move should I be first at the junction. I have my mod2 soon and now starting to wonder about this !!? I just read a lad failed for this or am I chatting shite!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 August 2012 22:37)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"-pass the car on the offside so you get a better view to turning right."

I think you're referring to Highway Code section 181.
In practice it depends on the layout of the junction, where the other vehicle stops and whether there is traffic behind it. Whilst the "better view" argument makes some sense I think in most cases the two vehicles cross each other's front rather than going behind.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

passing

I haven`t a clue what your on about.

Are you talking a line of traffic waiting for a green light?

Are you talking a single lane to the lights?

What`s ns to ns when you mention offside?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Generally

passing / turning offside-offside is the preferred methods where 2 vehicles are at a crossroads.

There are exceptions to this rule depending on the exact road layout, likely traffic position and road signage.

Best thing to do if you're doing Mod 2 is to have your instructor take you round likely test routes, and become familiar with the roads - an instructor will be familiar with the likely hiccups on a given route.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

try not to get run over

you mean Highway code rules

When turning right at crossroads

I tend to disagree here, in Highway code both method are accepted and highway code says if you turn behind the vehicle you have a better view so it is safer.

In fact it is way more dangerous, because what do you think will happen if you try to turn behind the vehicle and the other driver try to do that in front of you?

Yes you will get run over :shock:

I have been riding 30 years and always do left side to left side, turning in front of each other - that is what ALL drivers expect and DO. This way the two vehicles DO NOT have crossing paths and it is much safer.

And in most EU countries only turning in front of other vehicle is allowed, which makes sense if you think about it.

Reply to this Topic
paulieLplates

Jun 12

passing n/s

thanks for the responses.  hopefully this wont crop up monday!!! gulp :blink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle