Skip to content

Ask an Expert Best Bike (with Style) for Pillion use Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Best Bike (with Style) for Pillion use

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DBurroughs

Jul 12

DBurroughs says:

Best Bike (with Style) for Pillion use

Hi Guys, I currently own a 2008 Yamaha FZ6 and I love it to bits. Although I do ride out on my own I regulary ride out with my girlfriend on the back. Our most recent ride to the coast has frightened her just a little bit. There was a lot of wind action and she was getting the most of it. She is also not happy with how uncomfortable she is on this bike. Don't get me wrong my girlfriend loves ridding on the back on the machine, she would just like a little bit more comfort. She has ridden on the back of her dads, 2010 Triumph Sprint GT recently and loves how comfortable it is. Now I am wondering whether to spend money on the bike by buying a top box with back rest, and maybe buying some 'love handles' to make the ride more comfortable for her. But then on the other hand this doesn't add value to the bike just costs me. So I was wondering if you had any reccommendations on which bike i could try that would be comfortable for her aswell as still having some style. Bearing in mind I am still only 24 and do not want to be ridding no Honda Deauville!!

Many Thanks

Dean

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 August 2012 12:20)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

pillion

Get a givi topbox. It may not add value to the bike, but you've bought it to RIDE it.

When you do sell it, you can remove the luggage and fit it to your next bike, or sell it separately..

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Is your

FZ6 the naked bike, or the half-faired one?

Buying the topbox and rest may cost you, but changing the bike will cost more (depreciation).

What in particular is it your girlfriend finds uncomfortable about the bike (seat, peg position, or some other factor)?

Reply to this Topic
DBurroughs

Jul 12

DBurroughs says:

High seat

AdieR - Its the S2 naked version in White.

She has a problem with sitting high up. Says she gets alot of wind disturbance. But then again isn't this going to happen on all bike types, i couldn't really relate as haven't ridden pillion much myself.

Maybe a top box with back rest will give her the reasurance she is after?

Reply to this Topic
DBurroughs

Jul 12

DBurroughs says:

Thanks

eatcs01, thanks your comments have been taken on board

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Don't know

if you have one, but maybe some type of screen would help with the windblast

FZ6 screen

I know there's a taller "touring" screen for the faired FZ6 from Yamaha themselves (I've got a half-faired S2 in black), I'd hazard a guess that they'll probably have a flyscreen for the N version, if not there is aftermarket stuff available (although it'll alter the look of the bike, if that's important).

Reply to this Topic
DBurroughs

Jul 12

DBurroughs says:

Link.

Thanks for the link, i'll have a look through the screens. I think that'll be a good idea to opt for one. I know how they have great effects for a better ride.

I have decided to keep the FZ6, i bought a Yamaha top box yesterday, so hopfully my girlfriend will appreciate the extra comfort. Thanks for your help guys really appreciate it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices