Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

Tyres and Bearings

Hi everyone,

I've only been riding 5 months on an '02 SV650s, but it's coming up to new tyre time - what are the best suggestions? I put some pretty good mileage on commuting (put 3.5k on in the last 5 months) so am looking for something with good longevity and wet performance. Someone suggested Michelin Road Pilots what are the thoughts?

Also, I was told to watch out for wheel bearing seals and spacers with high mileage - thing is, I don't actually know what I'm looking for when they're on the way out! Can someone clarify for me?

Cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 August 2012 22:31)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres/bearings

from what you say stick to the tyres you`ve got,

as far as the wheel bearings visually check the seals (dust seals) and for any red colour:shock:on a tyre change.

Every month grasp the top and the bottom of both wheels checking for play (looseness) which you don`t want.  

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

agree with Jaffa

not sure what tyres u have at present but if you are happy with them dont change , i moved from Bridgestones last year after 2 bad tyres , i move to pilot roads and thought they were far superior , ive bought an new bike which has BT23's on it and they seem ok , but dont think ill keep em on the bike long .

Reply to this Topic
jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

tyres

I'm on Maxxis SportMax at the moment - not hugely confident on them in the wet. Thanks for the tips!

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

Bearings

As Jaffa said. Also, find a nice smooth bit of road (if you can) pull the clutch in and let the revs drop. If the front bearings are going you'll feel it through the handle bars, it doesn't feel good!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

seals and spacers..

On most Suzuki's (and others) the axles are steel and fit snugly into the rubber lip seals in the wheel that are supposed to keep water out of the bearings.  

At the bolt end the axle is smaller to pass through the bearings, so a spacer has to be fitted - it's obvious in service manuals or when removing the wheel.

The spacer (2) is aluminium and soft, so it's normal for the rubber seal lips to wear deep grooves in the spacers, especially the more exposed front wheel. Trouble is that then the seal is looser and lets water in, especially the front, so bearings get water in and fail (jet washing is death for these bits, so don't, but all season riding doesn't help either).  Regular cleaning and re-greasing of the spacer and seal should help prolong it's life, but aluminium spacers will groove.  When you do have to replace the bearings and seals put in new spacers too.

I found it cost no more to have durable stainless steel spacers made up than to buy off the shelf OEM aluminium ones!

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

spacer / collar

I just noticed that Suzuki call it a "collar", but I think most folk call it a spacer...

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

SV bearings

What mileage has your bike done???

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Dunlop

Road/Sportsmarts are well reccomended from a variety of sources including some of the bike mag's.

Personally I'm running BT23's on a 954 'Blade, I've done around 4000 miles so far (reckon there's around another thou' left in 'em) which has included "fast'ish" (I'm not the quickest rider around) road riding, aquaplaning (in monsoon conditions!) at a speed I'm not going to incriminate myself for, instructing, leisure riding and a track day. They've Never given me any cause for concern & were surprisingly grippy on the track day considering they're "sport touring" (apparently they're used at the Ron Haslam race school though!)  

Reply to this Topic
jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

tyres etc

Thanks for all the tips guys...:biggrin:

eatcs, it's done 13k, last 5 have been mine, apparently the guy before me used it for leisure and some track days.

and sorry for taking so long to reply - been in the back arse of nowhere!

Reply to this Topic
alnight91

Jul 11

alnight91 says:

Tyres

I have bt21s on my 2010 sv650. Put about 8000 miles on them and still about 4000 left! 

Grip well in all conditions. Even have a bt21 on the rear of my r6 and can't fault them. Know some people had some problems with them wearing odd when they first came out but think that may have been a odd batch as mine have been fine! They are cheaper than 23s as they are older cost about 240 fitted.
Also look at ContInental conti motion they are sport touring and got good reviews. Only 165 off eBay and just take them to your local fitter to get them put on. 
For high mileage commuting go sports touring. Hard centre for miles soft edge for corner grip. Not sure why people use sports tyres for such high mileage when you could double or triple the mileage on a capable st....:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices