Skip to content

Discuss This Helmet law? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Helmet law?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Gsxrlfc

Aug 12

Gsxrlfc says:

Helmet law?

Recently at a bike meet in Staffordshire I noticed a rider turn up on his bike wearing a turban and no helmet. This may be old news but it still shocked me and I understand the religious side of this but surely the law states that you have to wear a helmet and law aside it's there for safety? So why is it being allowed on the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 August 2012 15:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
adlhancock

Jul 11

adlhancock says:

Old news indeed

This quirk of the law dates back to 1976, and is primarily thanks to this guy: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/boo66/6941104910/ More details here: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120122/jsp/7days/story_15036596.jsp

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

The squeaky wheel gets the grease

Sikhs, or those professing to be Sikhs, get to pack knives everywhere as well, most lately into Olympic venues.

Contrast with Fred Hill who went to gaol over and over for refusing to pay fines for not wearing a helmet, and who eventually died in pokey essentially as a political prisoner.

No law change for him though, because he didn't whinge and moan about representing an oh-so-special interest group.

At the moment, the ECHR disallows discrimination against just about any whinge-group you care to name but positive discrimination is just fine and dandy.

Reply to this Topic
FAM81

Aug 10

FAM81 says:

Reply to this Topic
Darkrapture

Nov 09

Darkrapture says:

Rogerborg

Roger blame the law, not the people it randomly chooses to serve.

Reply to this Topic
GonzoBlade

May 12

GonzoBlade says:

I agree with DarkRapture.  Sikh's don't have to wear helmets, oh, boo-hoo!  Much bigger problems exist - in fact, this isn't even a problem. Can't really see what your problem is, Rogerborg.

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

correct

I agree too, its a fact, and the law, and the Sikhs problem if he falls off, end of !!!

Would anybody really want to ride on todays roads without a helmet anyway? really??

Reply to this Topic
whythedevilnot

Dec 11

Ride On

Had to think about this one. Freedom of religion is fundamental to our society. He has strongly held religious beliefs that without the exemption would prevent him from riding. NO ONE should be discouraged from riding if at all possible. Well, actually, I know a few people who should be discouraged from riding, but that has nothing to do with religion. They just make us all look bad. I mean, not for religious reasons. Obviously freedom of religion needs to apply in such a way has to not cause harm to others. 'Who's he hurting anyway?' Well, obviously himself, more so, in the event of a spill. I'm guessing that won't have escaped his attention. As a motorcyclist, I'm never far from the next person desperate to inform me about how 'dangerous' riding is. Then there's my pocket. In the past I've figured that helmet laws also protect me, as a tax payer, from paying certain medical bills for people who would otherwise go lidless and crack their skulls open. Why should I have to pay for treating someone who doesn't even wear a helmet when they ride. Surely that's wrong? But then I think, it's summer. Every other person I see riding round town is an expensive skin graft waiting to happen as the only bit of safety gear they are in fact wearing is that helmet. The law happily lets people ride around in t-shirt and sandals because it's hot so it certainly must let a rider wear a turban because he has strongly held religious beliefs. No, I just can't see a credible reason why he should be prevented by the law from riding. Saying that, I wouldn't ride without a helmet, or gloves, boots and armoured suit.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

It's against my religious beliefs to treat people differently depending on their religion or ethnicity. Does that mean I get all the perks of all these religion specific laws?

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

It's against my religious beliefs to treat people differently depending on their religion or ethnicity. Does that mean I get all the perks of all these religion specific laws?

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Sikhs are exempt from the helmet law.

Anyone can become a Sikh.

Choice is yours.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale