Skip to content

Discuss This Helmet law? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Helmet law?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Gsxrlfc

Aug 12

Gsxrlfc says:

Helmet law?

Recently at a bike meet in Staffordshire I noticed a rider turn up on his bike wearing a turban and no helmet. This may be old news but it still shocked me and I understand the religious side of this but surely the law states that you have to wear a helmet and law aside it's there for safety? So why is it being allowed on the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (06 August 2012 15:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
daveire

Sep 10

daveire says:

I always wear a full face helmet for safety and weather protection. But on holidays in thailand last year we hired cruisers didn't bother with helmets, sunglasses, shorts, tee shirts and yes flip flops. It was great wind in your hair biking. Since then I am pro choice when it comes to the helmet law. How about having the helmet optional under 40 mph. eg Nipping to the shop.

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

self preservation

On the subject of clothing, well all I can say is yes its absolutely great to ride around in warm weather climates in t-shirt, shorts and sandals……..but to make a point…..anyone who fancies it should just press the flat of their hand down on the road and then quickly move it a few feet quite hard. It hurts like hell and makes a mess of your skin very easily. Now just imagine what it would be like at 30,60 or 80mph……and that’s why you wear gloves!! Imo a crash with no helmet at 25mph could still kill ya.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Lids

Everybody should try riding without a helmet at least once...

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

My problem, GonzoBlade

Is caving in and making special laws for people who claim to be utterly convinced that a magical sky pixie told them that they're special and deserve preferential treatment.  That's what strong religious belief boils down to.

One land, one law.

Reply to this Topic
maculopathy

Mar 10

maculopathy says:

if they jumped over a cliff would you ? live & let live - is it haming you. As non wearing of helmet, darwins law will out then -

Reply to this Topic
GrahamMarsden

Jun 12

This is what it says in the Highway Code paragraph 83

On all journeys, the rider and pillion passenger on a motorcycle, scooter or moped MUST wear a protective helmet. This does not apply to a follower of the Sikh religion while wearing a turban.

[Laws RTA 1988 sects 16 & 17 & MC(PH)R as amended reg 4]

Apparently the current penalty for riding without a helmet is £30 fixed penalty no points.James May of Top Gear once took a bet from Jeremy Clarkson to ride from Hammersmith to Picadilly Circus without a helmet until eventually he was stopped by a Police Officer who "simply pointed at me, pointed at my lid, performed an exaggerated tapping motion on the top of his own head and, I think, called me something slightly rude"

See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/jamesmay/3173972/James-May-I-fought-the-law....html

Personally I always wear a lid, jacket, gloves, boots and trousers even though only the first is a legal obligation because I've seen gravel rash and it ain't pretty!

Reply to this Topic
vanandy

Feb 12

vanandy says:

always will

If they done away with the helmet law I'd still wear one, only because fly's don't half hurt when they smack you in the face, even at 30. Small stones even worst. Same reason people in sporty cars with no windscreen wear them.

Reply to this Topic
scratchnsniff24

Mar 11

Could you not just

Tell the copper you're a Sikh? Do you need special papers to prove this? I don't know, nor really care personally, how religion works.
Can't imagine in this state they could do much in the way of probing to find out without potentially offending someone which is a big booboo.
Is there a register/membership card you carry as a Sikh?

Although... I think I'd rather wear a helmet than a turban. Can't imagine they're too cool on hot days and my helmet has vents at least.

At the end of the day they're forced to wear a sort of head attire much like we are. Except we don't offend ourselves, our religion, our god... Anyone when we arrive at our destination and take it off.
What I'm trying to get at is - We must wear it for the duration of time we're on the bike, they must wear it all the time. Stop whining.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

My visor

is always down too after a large insect smacked me in my face doing about 35 mph on a really hot day on my old AR50 when i was about 16.  I would always wear a helmet no matter what the law was. 

I wouldn't ride with anybody that didn't wear a helmet either as i wouldn't want to deal with seeing my mates brains if he stuffed it lol

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

HSE?

Surely the helmet law shouldn't exist and it should be the riders choice. Personally I wear full gear pretty much every time I swing a leg over but if the weather is particuarly hot and or it's a low speed short run I will reduce the gear to suit. We all know the risks of hitting tarmac at any speed but what people rarely consider is how the protective gear affects other aspects of riding. I am a strong believer in the 3 degrees of separtion. In short 3 things stop you losing skin, 1. Reading of the road/ Anticipation of potential accidents. 2. Rider skill. 3. Protective gear.

If the first two are sorted you'll never need the third, conversely excessive gear causes sweating and discomfort detracting from the first two meaning an accident is more likely so when it happens most will tell the whole world how forturnate it was they had all this gear on completely oblivious that it might of been a factor in the first place. It all boils down to common sense and personal choice hence my view on the helmet law.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices