Skip to content

Ask an Expert How far is too far to commute to work? Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > How far is too far to commute to work?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DBurroughs

Jul 12

DBurroughs says:

How far is too far to commute to work?

Hi Guys, I have recently started a new job in London. I live in a village called Beyton roughly 80 miles away from my place of work on Tower Hill. I usually comute to work by train, but as I become more and more addicted to ridding my Yamaha FZ6 Naked, i was debating whether to ride it to work? But a 160 mile round trip to work seems a little too much? How far do some of you guys commute to work, and do you think this is a very unrealistic idea option?

Cheers

Dean

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 August 2012 21:00)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

my opinion

stick with the train and enjoy your bike.........i ride for a living on their running costs and i wouldnt want to cover them costs:wink:

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Depends on how much you get paid and is the ride enjoyable?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

bit much

40 miles each way over twisty trans-Pennine roads - fun.  Racking up the costs but worth it.

15 miles each way, barely worth getting the kit on for, but I still do.

80 miles each way, that's daily of fuel stops, a shed load of tyre changes (every 2-3 months), countless services (every 1-2 months), and a lot of knackered kit and new bikes.  40,000 miles pa could be too much.

A fuel efficient car or a season ticket might be better, and take the bike from time to time.

Reply to this Topic
DBurroughs

Jul 12

DBurroughs says:

on second thoughts...

Cheers guys, you're all right. 160 mile alround journey is a bit too much to take on. The ride will be hard. not very enjoyable as London Town is a pain to ride around. And basically the COST!! Although my train journey is £600 a month!! OUCH!!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I can see

your logic, but I'd say a long commute on a bike would get tiresome quite quickly - tedious monotony of motorways, cheating death by brain-dead cagers, pedestrians and cyclists on a daily basis, being cold and wet on a naked bike with no weather protection, and a lack of storage space for any bits you need to carry to work, decent secure parking can be difficult to find sometimes (cue marks etc on the bike, or worse still, picking it up off the deck because some clumsy numb-nuts has knocked it over trying to get to theirs), plus kitting up in morning and evening as well as having a safe place at work to safely store all your gear can take the "fun" factor out of it.

Commuting by its nature tends to entail year-round riding - whilst year-round running can help keep skills sharp, going out in snow and ice (it can be done) is a drag that you really have to grin and bear during winter.

One option is to go by train 2 or 3 days of the week, and use the bike on the remaining days.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Another Option

Would be to get a cheapo commuter like a CB500 to do the journey, lot cheaper running costs & still quite fun to ride

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices