Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Do you really want semi-active suspension? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Do you really want semi-active suspension?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Do you really want semi-active suspension?

The new BMW S1000RR HP4 will have technology that automatically adjusts the suspension damping depending on how you're riding. It could mean the end of suspension twiddling, but it'll no doubt cost a fair bit. So do you want it? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 August 2012 12:31)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ghostmikey

Jun 12

ghostmikey says:

no.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Maybe..

As always, it's a price/weight/benefit issue. If in typical riding fashion I could not tell the benefit then no. If the benefit was large enough I would then evaluate it on cost and added weight. As with most anything, must try before you buy.

Reply to this Topic
DJSP2ROCKS

Feb 09

DJSP2ROCKS says:

I agree this would have to be a try before you buy thing as well as a cost consideration. I'd love to buy the new fireblade for example however I'd not go for the abs option as it's even more money to shell out! On another note, isn't there a somewhat mystical art to fiddling with ones own suspension (easy now!) to obtain our riding preference and - prefered amount of feel? If we're not careful before long all we will be required to do is sit on the bike and point it in the right direction! (Gps will tell the bike where we are and the max mph we can go, distance sensors will assist in speed on motorways etc, etc!)

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

It's hard to comment on something I haven't tried

I have never experienced Adaptive or Active Suspension, how could I or anyone else for that matter comment on this silly post. The query should have 3 answer, "yes," "no" and "I have no clue what the hell you're talking about."

I ride a K1300S with ESAII and love the idea of changing the damping on the fly, from soft to tight. But unless I try it I wouldn't be able to comment on Active Suspension. Basically it's another one of those technologies that's coming from the car side.

The suspension is supposed to react to the road. But when the roads are so bad in the US, specially in the Northeast, the suspension will always want to be in the soft mode so I would imagine, hence I would still have to manually or electronically adjust it.

Sounds like a product that will fair well in the most ideal conditions, but will falter in the real world. But then again, maybe not. We can't comment with some intelligence unless we have tried it.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

I suppose

over the years we've been asked - "do we really want more than one cylinder?", "Do we really want monoshock / linked suspension?", "do we really want disc brakes?", "do we really want fuel injection?"...... it'll come to all bikes eventually.

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

No Thanks

I'm not keen on these gadgets, lets be honest who amongst us really needs this tech? Unless you're monstering around a track I doubt you'll notice the difference. All these things do is push up costs for buying and servicing whilst making even the most simple of maintenance tasks nigh on impossible for the home mechanic.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I would love to try it out

as I'm sure it would be beneficial to the ride quality.

Having said that I still get a lot of satisfaction from getting the allen keys out and trying different settings on my bike, and am always elated when I find one that works well and translates into a fantastic feeling on the bike.

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

Id love to try it

It would be great to have the option as real world conditions change in a heart beat, im sure if it was priced sensibly it would be good to see the difference as most find a bikes setup mind boggling.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

This real word.....?

Where exactly is it cuz I sure as hell would like to go there? (cue insults)

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Last place you'd need it is the track

I'd like to know how the override works. 

Are there options for Active, Sport, Normal, Comfort? Meaning can I select the suspension not to be dynamic when I want it to?  Or will it annoy the hell out of us, but constantly wanting to do what it wants to do?

Again, impossible to comment without real world multi-day test.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices