Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Do you really want semi-active suspension? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Do you really want semi-active suspension?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Do you really want semi-active suspension?

The new BMW S1000RR HP4 will have technology that automatically adjusts the suspension damping depending on how you're riding. It could mean the end of suspension twiddling, but it'll no doubt cost a fair bit. So do you want it? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 August 2012 12:31)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kennygorrie

Jul 08

kennygorrie says:

Well well

Dosnt that HP4 just give u a semi, the out going version is so good its just hard to believe it can get better. I welcome all these tech updates.traction control and race abs is just the muts nuts, In 20 years time this will all be old hat

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"In 20 years time this will all be old hat ."

My worry would be that in 5 years time it'll be broken. Simplicity is appealing. Having said that, I'd like to try active suspension. The wealthy types who can ditch the bike before the first MOT won't worry though.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

ESA quite expensive to replace so will be the

ESA is quite expensive to replace, I am sure Active Suspension will be even pricier.  I doubt that this will be the new norm with other brands.  if it proves worthwhile, like the ESA did, then maybe Ducati pick up on it.  But if it proves a simple waste of technology in actual real world use, it won't go anywhere. 

it will certainly never show it's way on Japanese bikes.  BMW introduced the ESA (electronic suspension) in 2004, after 6 years Duc picked it up.  I doubt any other brand (besides Duc) would be eager to jump on this dynamic suspension anytime soon.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

no question

no question, I want it. but only if it's as good as I think it could be, does it adjust for temperature as well.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

No

not ever!

Reply to this Topic
kwackanacki

Nov 09

kwackanacki says:

The good old days

Yes, It will be just like anti-dive front forks - blanking plates anyone! - need to be 40 to understand this!

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

ducati

if 1 bike needs all the electronics ist the duc. if it had no electronics you could not ride that bike. maybe the poll should be: do you realy want to ride a ducati with the 122 electronic changes you can make? ducati could only build the 1199 because of the massive electronic gadgets. the thing could not ride without it!!!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Given that BMW's quality has gone to shit

I pity the fool who buys one out of warranty.

Well, I'm sure we'll all get to enjoy it eventually when BMW decide to buy some more MEPs and have it mandated by Brussels, like they've just done with ABS and spy chips.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Semi-active suspension

The poll is irrelevant as it suggests a straighth yes or no choice.  Like all other technology, this is not an all or nothing option.  It will be applied to bikes where appropriate or the customer selects it if available.  On other machines it will not be wanted or needed.    

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Active suspension hype

As always, something NEW comes onto the market and has people salivating into their cornflakes. `Ohh,gotta have it to brag to me mates down't pub like'. Wonder if it starts playing up the people who bought it start crying into their cornflakes? Whatever happened to riding a motorcycle and enjoying the experience,without worrying about microchips,active this that or t'other?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices