Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: How much would you spend to get a decent used bike? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: How much would you spend to get a decent used bike?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: How much would you spend to get a decent used bike?

In next week's MCN we're investigating which used bikes offer the best combination of value, excitement, reliability and style. Senior editor John Westlake is forever singing the praises of his Honda VFR750 that he bought for £1500, whereas road tester Child is currently raving about a pristine Blackbird for £2500. So what's the minimum you'd spend to get a decent used bike? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 August 2012 13:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Adam...

be careful you may loose touch with your youthful side falling in love with a Blackbird. That's an old mans bike don't you know? ( bloody good all round IMHO).

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

I've had like 5 or 6 GPZs, crash them or break them and don;t care only like 600-800 per one so when it comes to MOT day, sell it for scrap and buy another one.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Wrong question

The minimum?

That question doesn't make sense.

The answer to that one is the same for everyone, its the lowest unit of currency which is 1p.

Surely the question should be "what is the maximum you would spend on a decent second hand bike?"

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Rogerborg,

Either you've got pots of money or you're unusual in that you take no joy or pride in ownership of a beautiful and/or purposeful machine. Since you've joined a motorcycle forum too I find it hard to believe that you're not an enthusiast.

I haven't had many bikes but I'd spend up to £4500 on a low mileage (<8,000 miles) bike which I find attractive and purposeful, regardless of year. Then I keep them, rack up the miles and get well familiar with them. I've never owned a brand new motor vehicle, I just can't take the hit as soon as it leaves the dealer. It would be nice to own one from new though, when the boat comes in!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I like to *ride* them, not wank over them

And certainly not fret over them being stolen, or spend 5 minutes fiddling with locks and chains at both ends of every journey.  I understand that for some folks their bike is their "pride and joy", and fair play to you, but I prefer mine pre-abused and pre-dropped.  As long as they're mechanically sound, the experience is the same once your feet are off the ground.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

How much?

The answer depends on what you want the bike for.

My VFR was 9 years old when I got it and it cost me just over £2K.  It has taken me all over Spain on many occasions and is still a great bike to ride.  Almost five years later it has probably only dropped a few hundred pounds in depreciation.  Fantastic value and proof that you can get a decent bike on a budget. 

My 2005 Fazer 1000 was about a year old when I got that and I paid just under £5K for that.     

If you want basic transport you can get a commuter for around £1000 and it will give you good service.  If you are taking your other half all over Europe you'll want to be spending considerably more for a machine to do the job. 

Either way for me bikes are a passion and money isn't the first consideration when buying a machine.  Having said that, as the VFR shows, you can get a damn good bike for a modest budget and picking the right machine is just as important as how much you spend on it.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Eh?!

How longs a piece of string? What a daft question? What sort of bike? How old? How big? Whats it used for?  One person might lust after an FS1E, someone else might want a Vincent Black Shadow. Each to their own.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

roger borg youre the lord

:biggrin: yer a powet an ya donny no et.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Yes ,- as other posters have said , silly question ? . And we all know that the most expensive bike is not always the best . I have had some real stinkers , bikes & cars , and buying with a warranty doesn"t make things better . My older brother knows nothing of a vehicles workings but never has or had many problems . My younger brother spends £100s on his bikes , does very little mileage , never rides in bad weather , yet still gets problems . So is it luck , regular servicing , careful  riding , the bikes make , previous owner , bottomless wallet ? . See what I mean , silly question  ? .

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

$4K

I paid $4,000 (US) for a 2006 Honda CBR600F4i with 11K miles.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices