Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

When I was learning I enjoyed every minute of riding, but now I've bought myself a Yamaha R6 I've started scaring myself almost every time I go out. I've never fallen off, but I sometimes think I might and when I stop my hands are shaking. Is this normal? Do other people like it? Being 53 I don't really enjoy being...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 August 2012 13:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
astar0012

Sep 11

astar0012 says:

How often should I scare myself?

I'm 24 and ride a fz6 s2 model now i know its not the fastest bike but its not a slouch either, and the only time I scare myself is when im pi**ing about and doing stuff which I proberly shouldn't but even then I'm not scared of falling off or for my life. I think it could be a confidnace issue as that is a quick bike when i got my first big bike I took it steady untill I learnt to respect the power then started opening it up a bit more so it could also depend how you are riding. Further training on that bike may help you

Reply to this Topic
BigBad83

Nov 08

BigBad83 says:

You wont make 54!

If you scare yourself that much on an R6 you need to trade in for something slightly more sensible or give up riding before you kill yourself!!

Reply to this Topic
Aajkz

Feb 10

Aajkz says:

Agree with BigBad83

I agree with BigBad83, and I'm going to say never...

Reply to this Topic
DJSP2ROCKS

Feb 09

DJSP2ROCKS says:

'Maybe I'm just not cut out for fast bikes. I'd be grateful for any advice' - thats fine but please don't give up on bikes all together! Have you seen the poll re: classic bikes?! beautiful bikes with plenty of character but will allow for plenty of enjoyment without the need for a pacemaker a Triumph Bonneville for example?! Or maybe something like a CBR600F? I passed my test 3 years ago and bought a Honda Firestorm (sporty without being too track biased)and have done a little over 40,000 miles, I can honestly say I've only scared myself once and that was when I exited a motorway and didn't realise there was a sharp bend at the top of the sliproad! Rider error and could have happened on any bike!

Reply to this Topic
polhouse

Sep 05

polhouse says:

If you are scaring yourself on the road you are probably exceeding your capabilities and one step away from disaster.  You should always be aiming to ride on the road well within yourself to allow for a margin of error should somethingout of your control happen.  It sounds to me like you should be taking some training.  If you are skint try a police Bikesafe course.  These are usually good value for money and very helpful.  If funds are not so much of an issue take some on track training with one of the recognised companies like Ron Haslam or the California Superbike School.  These will help you to improve your skills and understand your limits in safety on the track.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Simple answer, NO

I think you have the wrong bike!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Well

we don't know what your experience is, or what you learned on; if you've gone from a relatively sedate machine like an ER6 (or indeed, a 125) up to the Yamaha in a short space of time, then perhaps your experience isn't quite enough for the jump - it takes time to develop skills, and some people learn quicker than others.

There are a number of factors that come into play: the very powerful bikes are frequently the most desirable at an early stage (insurance apart) - many new-ish riders assume a fast bike will make them a fast rider, and often the opposite is true; fast riders tend to be fast having graduated through less powerful machines and learning to get the best from these bikes. Fact is, on a back road, a skilled rider will take a mundane bike and show up an amateur on a more powerful one. Another important point is peer pressure: some people are inclined to lead less experienced mates astray with the "don't get a sedate (ER6 / SV650 etc) bike, just go straight for the powerful stuff because you'll get bored in 3 months", without any real input on what those powerful bikes are like to live with or how well a less experienced rider will get on with that bike.

As for the scaring yourself, try changing to a less powerful bike that you can get on with better: if you're scared, you're distracted, and if you're distracted, bad things tend to happen.

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

Hold on a minute chaps...

It depends how many miles has been done on the R6.

When I jumped onto a 600, from my 400, I was scaring myself everytime I went out.

I think the rider needs to calm down and spend a bit more time getting used to the power delivery, also might be worth booking a trackday in to help with learning how the bike moves.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bfreesun

Sep 07

bfreesun says:

Scare?

Buy a Harley. AKA Hardley Dangerous. I've got one.

Reply to this Topic
mobileenoph

Jun 07

mobileenoph says:

SO, WHO'S IN CONTROL HERE?

The 53 year old rider or the R6? WHO'S THE ONE OPENING THE THROTTLE?

Just enjoy the ride, no need to ride at full throttle,be gentle

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices