Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

When I was learning I enjoyed every minute of riding, but now I've bought myself a Yamaha R6 I've started scaring myself almost every time I go out. I've never fallen off, but I sometimes think I might and when I stop my hands are shaking. Is this normal? Do other people like it? Being 53 I don't really enjoy being...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 August 2012 13:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

more time and more training

The question is...What have you gone from? If you learned on a GS500 and now you are on an extreme riding postiton race style bike, then yes, it will scare you until you get used to it. I suggest you take your time to know the bike as you did when you were learning. Also get a days 1-2-1 with an advanced instructor to give you pointers. It may be you're going in to the bends to fast. The R6 is more of a track biased bike, you could have gone for Suzuki GSXR600 which has a more even track/road style. There is a difference between fun scary and dangerous scary. If should be the first, not the later.

Reply to this Topic
GonzoBlade

May 12

GonzoBlade says:

never!

You should never scare yourself mate, it means you are riding outside your ability/skill level.

It means you will inevitably crash your bike unless you either skill up or calm down. Crashing means anything from expensive damage to your bike, to killing yourself or another human being. Think about it.

If you can't handle the R6 it's nothing to be ashamed of, get a less track-focused bike (I'd recommend the Honda CBR400RR, great bike, quick enough - I've beaten CBR600s with it - and handles beautifully but very manageable) and get used to that, then when you are confident, upgrade.

I'd also recommend you do some further training, maybe the BikeSafe thing that some Police forces operate.

Like I said, recognising gaps in your ability and the need for further training or a less hairy bike is nothing to be ashamed of - putting other people's lives at risk by riding outside your ability on public roads is, though.

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

'Simmer the fuck down', seriously if you shake when you ride it, when it comes to a serious moment when you are required to be calm ie: big oil/diesel spill on a corner, you will do something stupid like grab a handful of brake and bin it. It's more the rider than the bike. I went from a cbr400 to a 2002 gsxr750 and I have never scared myself and I ride like a lunatic (granted only twenty and no sense of self preservation). AIM or even a trackday should sort you out.

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

1 Near miss too many

For me, being scared usually equals a near miss. The fewer the better. That said, they will happen anyway and you will learn from them, but dont go looking for these moments. As others have said, get more training. Gradually stretching that envelope of "how far can i lean?", "How late should i brake?" should be done in the safest and most comfortable way possible IMO.

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Never...

...if you've scared yourself it's because you were at the limit of control, one additional factor would have meant you exceeded that limit. When you 'have a moment' your brain stops being able to process information quickly and smoothly, and your body tenses, both things that make having a crash much more likely. Firstly, slow down, the bike is only as fast as you ride it, your wrist can twist forward as well as backward. Don't ride quicker than you ability allows. Next, if you do want to be able to ride faster, get yourself some advanced training, both road based and track based, and gradually your own capabilities will get closer to those of the bike.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Scaring yourself on a regular basis is clearly wrong whilst riding, so I would suggest a bit of Training with the I.A.M. Then if you still Scare yourself I would suggest you give it up.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Scared

Been married once, that gave more scary moments than riding (the bike).

Reply to this Topic
aweaver8

Dec 04

aweaver8 says:

You shouldn't be scaring yourself on a regular basis, even the best rider get the occasional bum clencher but not all the time. I would definitly get some further training, try RoSPA or the IAM, both are well worth the money and will increase the enjoyment of riding no end.

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

The answer is . . .

that this is clearly another pointless made up scenario.

Reply to this Topic
BigBruce

Jul 11

BigBruce says:

personal preference

i don't think you can relay take other peoples views on this one , its more about personal preference, i quite enjoy my bike scaring me along with the rush of adrenaline but its not for everyone.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices