Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

When I was learning I enjoyed every minute of riding, but now I've bought myself a Yamaha R6 I've started scaring myself almost every time I go out. I've never fallen off, but I sometimes think I might and when I stop my hands are shaking. Is this normal? Do other people like it? Being 53 I don't really enjoy being...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 August 2012 13:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

fear

Biking should be about fun not fear. Get some further training.

Reply to this Topic
inewham

Aug 06

inewham says:

it depends whats scaring you, too much right wrist then panic when you go into a corner too hot, that kind of thing?

Be smooth, don't point and squirt and slam on the brakes just learn to carry your speed through the bends. You'll be amazed just how fast your bike can corner and how far it can lean quite safely, your tyres can go right to the edge... so long as you stay smooth.  In the long run you'll be a little less of a police magnet on the straights and over a distance you'll be quicker but most of all you'll panic less.

Read 'A twist of the wrist 2', understand the dynamics of your bike and be less afraid of it, work on your technique and build your speed gradually boosting your confidence.

Reply to this Topic
joshcherry93

Jan 11

joshcherry93 says:

Confidence

sounds like you're not confident in that bike - only riding it more can overcome this.

Reply to this Topic
JSKawasaki

Aug 12

JSKawasaki says:

Confidence

Personally, I don't know why someone would intentionally scare themselves?! I only passed 4 months ago and since then I've been getting to know my machine (GPZ500). Its not huge but it does the job and is a good starter. How long have you had the R6? I think the best thing to do is take it slowly, get to know your bike. Are you riding familiar roads? Knowing corners, junctions, pot-holey roads and likely traffic helps to decide your riding style, unless your riding style is 'AAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!' speed! Its all about confidence and knowing you're not on a track with nice smooth tarmac and no traffic coming the other way!

Being a new rider I've scared myself a couple times but thats through lack of experience. The next step is improving technique or simply not doing that daft manouvere again! All in my own opinion of course. I'm sure more experienced riders can inform much better!

Reply to this Topic
wobblybiker

Mar 09

wobblybiker says:

hand

You are not riding a horse with a mind of its own, you are riding a piece of machinery. 

If, at the age of 53, you haven't worked out that your speed and fear levels are entirely related to the action of your right hand then you should definitely give up before you kill yourself.

Reply to this Topic
mikem800

Sep 04

mikem800 says:

Scared?

Think you bought the wrong bike for your level of experience, trade it in before its too late!

Reply to this Topic
OrientalSteve

Nov 07

use higher gears

ride the bike 2 gear higher all the time till you get use to the power

or just shift up sooner

or just limit yourself to a certain rev.

its only as fast as your right hand makes it

Reply to this Topic
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

Scared

I ride my ZZR1100 D5 and my VFR750.  The only time I have been scared in the last few years was when I bought a Burgman 400cc  .  Riding the Burgman at 70mph through bends was the scariest thing I have done in years.  I can go through the same bends on the ZZR1100 at 90mph .

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

How often..? Very very rarely!

If you're scaring yourself, and often, just stop doing whatever it is that makes your scared. Pinning the throttle, going in to hot, whatever, stop doing it. If you must ride it, just pootle around for a while. Then, while still alive and in one piece, seek out some experienced help from a calm safe biker or preferably get a bit of RoSPA / IAM tuition. Read Motorcycle RoadCraft cover to cover at least twice. At the very least book on BikeSafe. Once you've taken the surprises out of your ride, you can enjoy any bike, from a 50cc scooter to a superbike. Try to make every road ride a ride to "the system". Later, as it's an R6, it would be rude not to move onto some track tuition, that way you get the bike properly setup and learn what it can really do.

Reply to this Topic
asai667

Feb 11

asai667 says:

SCARED

I am scared because i am not scared any more.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices