Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

When I was learning I enjoyed every minute of riding, but now I've bought myself a Yamaha R6 I've started scaring myself almost every time I go out. I've never fallen off, but I sometimes think I might and when I stop my hands are shaking. Is this normal? Do other people like it? Being 53 I don't really enjoy being...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 August 2012 13:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Duct Tape

After getting my CBR600F4i, I was scared every time I went over 9000 rpm in first gear because I would almost go off the back of the bike. Put some black duct tape over the slippery vinyl seat cover for additional posterior to seat friction – problem solved.

The real scary bike for me is the Elite 110 (Lead 110 in Europe), since it brings out the maniac in me – slice and dice through the gaps in traffic, take short cuts down the sidewalk (aka pavement), across parking lots, down alleys, between the barrels and barriers horses on the closed lane under construction, along side the railroad tracks, through the grass and weeds – YEE HAW!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Dual-Sport

One thing that helps is riding a dual-sport (or trail bike/dirt bike) off road, as you will get used to the rear wheel slipping. Hit a spot of sand on the NT700V, and remained calm as the rear wheel stepped out a few inches – I might have panicked if I had not spent the time riding the Yammie TW200 in sand at the OHV (off-highway vehicle) park.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

I'm 56 and have an 08 R1.......

................so don't be such a wimp.

Reply to this Topic
cat5cable

May 09

cat5cable says:

i am 53 and on my 9th fireblade, do a trackday this will help.

Reply to this Topic
1098kid

Oct 08

1098kid says:

The number of incompetant bikers out there is getting scary, all too easy to blame car drivers etc but far too many people buy a 150mph+ sports bike for the road without thinking it through, no wonder there are so many bike accidents. Anyone scaring themselves on their bike is a complete idiot and only a matter of time before your luck runs out, get some training before going on it again or keep it for the track!

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

If your scaring yourself often then get off our fucking roads as your riding out of your limitations.

You are an accident waiting to happen and if your lucky enough to be the only person envolved then some poor fucker still has to scrape you up. 

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

I don't mean to be rude but i speak from experiance as i've had to deal with a crash victim (wasn't nice) and it nearly put me off bikes.

Reply to this Topic
PandaPop

Jun 12

PandaPop says:

sell the R6, buy an sv 650 or similar and learn to ride smooth and incontrol then when you feel more confident go back to a sports bike.

Reply to this Topic
trogan4

Jan 09

trogan4 says:

If you’re new to sports bikes or bigger bikes even, you should take time to get used to it! They are entirely different animals ! Faster more powerful and of course more agile especially into corners, which I suspect where you problem lies! Start slow and get it right before working upto higher speeds etc

You need to know positioning, braking and turn in points to get this right. Maybe even doing some ride outs with a local club will help with confidence side of thing. Remember you don’t have too keep up with anybody, ride at your own pace and the speed and confidence will come with experience! I would recommend a track day or extra training it’s never too early or late and always helps!

If it’s just your hands shaking it may well be just the adrenaline pumping, one of the reasons we ridebikes…
Good luck….

Reply to this Topic
mozart

Nov 10

mozart says:

wow

just reading this is enough to scare me, just a plain WOW will do :-( scary stuff

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices