Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How often should I scare myself?

When I was learning I enjoyed every minute of riding, but now I've bought myself a Yamaha R6 I've started scaring myself almost every time I go out. I've never fallen off, but I sometimes think I might and when I stop my hands are shaking. Is this normal? Do other people like it? Being 53 I don't really enjoy being...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 August 2012 13:57)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

buy Ducati Monster

R6 is not a good road bike - its good sport bike if you ride it fast.

I do not see any joy of having it and according to you going fast seems scary to you so either get track training or get rid of it... riding should be fun, few near misses now and then are ok but scared on daily basis means you are not safe with it now.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

9th?

@ cat5cable – 9th Honda Fireblade? Did you wreck the first 8?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Track or Road?

@ Valko – You have a point. I have been thinking about converting my CBR600F4i into a track only bike, as the riding position, power-band/gearing, and overall performance level are really not the best suited for the road. And the F4i is less extreme than the current crop of race replicas. The Suzuki SV650 suggestion is not a bad one, and the Kawasaki Ninja 650 would also be better than a super-sport (not coincidentally, both these are twins, not I-4 powered).

Looking back, the day when most bikes were standards was not a bad thing. Both race-replicas and cruisers sacrifice too much to track performance and looks, respectively, to be good road bikes. Sporty standards, “road sport” sport bikes, sport-tourers, and adventure-tourers are all better choices for most.

Reply to this Topic
jg13

Jan 06

jg13 says:

scare yourself

If your scared by your R6 obviously you've picked the wrong ride.Buy something less powerful and build up your skill and confidence,then you'll find the only thing that scares you is the amount of clowns you share the road with.

Reply to this Topic
number75

Jul 12

number75 says:

Every other day is probably enough

As we keep being told supersport bikes are out of favour because they don't have any torque but they're too fast-which one is it? They are fast but the way the power comes can be quite deceiving, one second theres none and then all of a sudden you're doing 100mph. If you preferred your previous rides then maybe go back to something like that, but personally I don;t think your too old for an R6. Try to stop scaring the life out of yourself every time you go out and understand that you will take some time to get used to it, before you know it you will be turning in later and driving out later than you ever have. Good luck!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Depends

Yup – Adult diapers will keep your riding suit clean when you scare yourself. Problem solved.

Reply to this Topic
northernbloke

Nov 11

Scaring yourself!

It's not what you ride, but how you ride it, you fell into the trap of 'I've bought a sports bike, so I have to ride it like a sports bike', take your time, learn your bike slowly and it will come to you, yes an R6 is a bit extreme for older gentlemen like ourselves (I've still got my old FireBlade), but hell, if you like it keep it and enjoy. However if you find yourself leaving it in the garage because you 'don't feel like going for a ride', buy yourself something less extreme, get an FZ6 or a hornet and get your confidence back, who know's you might want a sports bike again in the future, as me old dad said, pass your test THEN learn to ride, you just missed out the learn to ride bit.

Reply to this Topic
DaveTriumphTiger

Aug 12

Scaring Yourself

When i first passed my test in 1993, i was told by an experienced biker that when i ride and it feels fast, i should slow down, eventually with experience riding at a speed which once felt fast will eventually feel normal.

what i am trying to say is that by deliberately slowing down, and riding within your limits eventually your limits with widen without the need for scary moments.

i had an R6 in 2008 after numerous other sports bike but found it far too focused for road riding and sold it after only 1000 miles, it only seemed to work properly at very high speeds, which is where most scary moments happen.

Reply to this Topic
Fat_Tony

Sep 08

Fat_Tony says:

It wears off as you get more experienced - but it never goes away entirely.

Learn from the scares - they're not pleasant - don't do the thing / get in the situation that scared you again.

I actually like them every now and again - so long as they just that - scares - not scars - by avoiding the accident you were scared of, it shows you you ARE in control after all.

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

i aint read the full thread as it got long

and a wee bit boring, but....................of what i read no one pointed out you have an excellent sports bike, and one i would love to have round knockhill................................the only way to know if you can handle her properly is take her on a novice only trackday................put yourself and such a machine were they are supposed to go, ask advise and dont think your rossi.......................if you learn nothing from this as how to control your bike then buy something far slower:wink:

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices