Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

The season of killer grit

has arrived in the Chester area.

A5117 between Ellesmere Port and Queensferry, and A56 out of chester to Mickle Trafford. I bloody hate this. It does NOT repair the surface and why the hell can't they pick up the excess. They think that 20mph signs protects them. If a road is that bad (and these weren't) do a proper resurface job.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 August 2012 20:12)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Here in Kent, too

Every ride out lately we find more of it. They've even done the lane we live on. There are only 4 houses on the entire lane. Why bother? They just spray the sticky stuff on, even over the grass up the middle of the lane and the cow pats! Then on with the gravel.

If you're lucky they'll send a road sweeper along after a day or two, but not before all the tractors using the lane have embossed some nice extra ruts into the soft bits.

Meanwhile, the pot holes up on the main roads go on getting bigger. 

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

funnily enough....

they seem to do this work on the 'better roads'...and only in short lenghts....and it makes a total balls of them for Months afterwards.(highlights even the smallest unevenness and creates a series of longitudinal furrows. The most recent stretch I came across was on the way to the Devils bridge meet a couple of weeks ago,right at the end of Manningham lane where it joins the big roundabout on the Bingley  by-pass.Great swirls of fresh loose grit, inches deep just where you need to be slowing down for the roundabout....traffic calming pure and simple.:mad:

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Cheshire Roads

Like you I absolutely hate this cheapskate (pardon the pun) system and wrote to the Cheshire Safer Roads Partnership about it, as it is quite clearly a dangerous practice which can result in serious injury or worse. Their response was that they only operate "safety" cameras and were not interested in this as it "was a matter for the Highways Dept".

This so-called SAFETY partnership includes the absolutely useless Cheshire Police Farce and similarly hopeless local Councils - the same people who go on and on about how cameras are there for safety, not for making money. When one points out a REAL safety problem, they all go silent - why are we not surprised!!?

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Chippings.

I suspect that this shoddy but cheap "maintenance" means councils can tick the appropriate box and appear to have met their obligations. Waste of time and tax-payers money.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

" Waste of time and tax-payers money."

It's about the only thing Government departments seem to be good at - wasting money.

And its not just "road safety" partnerships or councils - if you apply to renew your road tax (which takes money in), DVLA's system takes seconds to verify insurance and MoT details to issue the tax.

Contrast this with DWP (which pays money out): I put a claim in for JSA after being made redundant in June, and its taken them six sodding weeks and umpteen phone calls to pay out because "your security details don't match, so we can't take your case any further".

Fuckwits.

Reply to this Topic
inewham

Aug 06

inewham says:

Who approves this work...

How many councillors, or the managers in charge of subbing out the repairs ride bikes? Thats why they don't give a toss, because gravel and potholes makes no difference to them in their cars. It probably never occurs to them to think about the impact on motorcycles, in fact they probably consider it a bonus if it slows you down.:mad:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Trouble is

half of them probably don't drive anyway - there's an arterial road near me, and they've been "talking" about upgrading it to dual-carriageway status for 15+ years, only for some muppet to decide that "it doesn't really need that kind of work / investment"; if they'd have to use that road regularly, it'd be fekkin' obvious it needs upgrading - its busy to the point of gridlock, and very few chances to overtake.

Reply to this Topic
evlcatnw

Nov 05

evlcatnw says:

they've

gone mad with the stuff in north yorkshire! Had a very 'interesting' ride back to ste's last night from calf rocks....

New gravel on a steep downhill tiny road made my ass twich more than a little-held my breath more than a few times going round steep bends coz i could feel the back end sliding around!

Numpties obviously dont realise that even doing 10mph on bikes still means u slide around ffs!

Not going that way again! 

On my way to squires hit the biggest gravel i've seen in years and thank god i was wearing a lid coz i'd hav had a facefull of the horrid stuff! Took a few chunks of paint off my engine casing in spite of doing 10mph-no idea where it was due to being seriously lost but 'somewhere' near squires lol

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

evictnaw...

here have this for free.Use it to plan your routes. i.e. your home to where you want to go.It'll always stick you on the motorway,but you can 'drag and drop' your preferred route.

Google maps.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

Came across a bit more

on the A541 between Mold and Nannerch, same story, absolutely bloody pointless.

Elsewhere down in Wales like the A494 between Mold and Ruthin has been properly resurfaced and is a joy to ride on.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices