You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Touring trip

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DIB69

Aug 12

DIB69 says:

Touring trip

I'm going to riding my Ducati 1098 Streetfighter from Cornwall (via Plymouth to Roscoff) to Barcelona, through the Pyrenees and down to Santander, a fair few miles encompassing some boring straight line (tyre squaring) riding and some lovely twisty roads. I would like to know the answer to the age old question... What's the best tyres to go for? I am considering using a Dunlop SportSmart on the front for feel and grip in the twisties and a Dunlop RoadSmart on the rear for longevity. Good or bad idea?? Appreciate any thoughts.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 August 2012 23:23)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I'd

stick to RoadSmart both ends, assuming they're approved for the 1098.  I find by the time the rear's verging on illegal the front's getting a bit unpleasant around straight ahead (unless you never use the brakes).  Barring punctures I change them as a pair so both ends feel great for few k miles.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

Many a year ago when i was a teenager and Marcus was in nappies the front tyre lasted at least two back ones.

Nowadays they both last the same with normal riding,i understand what your talking about with touring and more weight on the rear making the front lighter.

I`ll stick my neck out and say your ok for 3,000miles with a sports sticky front and the rear sports/touring should stick as well with the weight.Remember to jack up the monoshock and rear tyre pressure if carrying wardrobes.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyres

The clue is in the tyre type - Sport Touring with touring being the operative word.  There are lots of good reports on the PR3's although I have not used them - yet.  (Might give thhem a try this time round for a change)  I am currently using BT023's on my VFR800 and FZS1000 and have never had any issues with grip. 

Even if you were a riding god you would not need the levels of grip offered by a full-on sports tyre when touring.  You will be covering greater distances and riding all day and therefore you will not be riding flat out as you would on a quick blast.

Good point from Jaffa about sorting your suspension.   

Reply to this Topic
DIB69

Aug 12

DIB69 says:

Tyres

Thanks chaps for your advice. I think I'll go for the Sports/Touring back and front with a bit of suspension set up. I think the nail was hit on the head.. It's not going to be a Sunday morning thrash, and as much as I'd like to think we'll be throwing it around in the twisties it's worth remembering I'll be fairly heavily loaded with kit. Besides, nicely warmed sport touring tyres will give plenty of grip as I found out on an R1 at Castle Coome track! It now come down to which ones to go for? Dunlop, Michelin or Metz

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices