Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi to leave Ducati MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi to leave Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Valentino Rossi to leave Ducati

Ducati has officially announced that seven-time MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi will leave the factory team at the end of the 2012 season. Rossi joined the factory Ducati team in 2011 after winning four world championships with the factory Yamaha squad, but failed to gel with the Ducati, claiming a best result of second in the rain at Le Mans in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 August 2012 09:23)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mezzer

Jul 11

mezzer says:

Burgess failed?

Ok, so most on here do not agree with the fact I believe Rossi failed at his task at Ducati. He and HIS CREW were employed, at great cost to Ducati, to FIX the bike and make it into an easy-going race winning bike. My understanding was Ducati would pretty do do as requested, ASAP. I will never forget when burgess said there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the Ducati, some tweaks here and there are all what's needed! hahahahahaha Ducati with an Ali frame? Ok...... still no faster than the CF one! Waste of time/money Has burgess and his crew let Rossi down? I am not questioning how great Rossi is as a rider, no disputing he is one of the greatest ever. History will show the true facts also, that he could only win if he was on the best bike out there!

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

More like his crew got cursed when JB said he can fix the Ducati in 80 seconds.

Reply to this Topic
revnev7

Oct 11

revnev7 says:

BLOODY GOOD JOB..

Best thing that`s happened to Ducati for nearly 2 year`s.

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Inevitable

Sounded like a marriage made in heaven; two iconic italian legends taking on the world.

Sad to see, but two years later if Rossi can't fix it then its definantly time to part company.

...could throw open an oppurtunity for Cal or Scott Redding.

Reply to this Topic
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

The Orange Oompa Loompa's

are going nuts. Do the sense that Rossi that he will be arriving at the 1, 2 and 3 positions now?

Why do the Orangade Oompa Loompas always select transgender names. Do they willfully copy their Orangade leader with his effeminate posture. Did they know that their Orangade leader was eunuch early and thus his major hormonal imbalance (mystery illness).

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

Bulto

Ok, I didn't say the right words.  The Ducati team had run out of ideas on how to cure the handling woes.

Presumably Rossi's feedback was a dodgy front end and his team had tried all the usual tweeks to solve this, still no luck. It is at this stage that Ducati should step in and come up with ways to sort it out. But presumably it was Rossi and team who were the ones who wanted the Ally frame and swing arm and was suggested because Ducati had run out of ideas.

People are saying that it hasn't improved the bike at all, but the bike does seem slightly easier to ride, but in any case that is beside the point, the main point being that it isn't up to Rossi to tell them how to cure the problem.  

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

the main point being that it isn't up to Rossi to tell them how to cure the problem.

Exactly - just as it wasn't Rossi who told Yamaha or Honda how to cure any problems they may have had. The riders give their impression of what the bike is or isn't doing and of what they want / don't want it to do. With their team they can mess about with set-up but once it goes beyond that it is the engineering and design teams that take over in the search for a solution to a problem. This applies to all riders, not just Rossi, but it is only Rossi who ever gets the accolades for providing meaningful feedback.

I'll tell you why, because he's probably no different from most others in the feedback he gives (Ducati were very impressed with Redding's feedback apparently) The difference is that Rossi is one of the best Motogp riders from the last 12 years. When a bike is working how he wants it, he is good enough to use it to its full potential. Other riders may be just as good, some may be even better, at working with the enginners, but they aren't good enough to ride the end product to it's full potential. Therefore the bike appears a dud. Edwards never got results with the M1 - you have to take into account he was used as a test mule at times, but nonetheless, not in Rossi's league. If Rossi hadn't gone there, whoever they hired instead may not have achieved results either and the M1 would have slipped by unoticed, its potential unfulfilled.

Then Honda. From 2007 - 2010 Pedrosa scored a few wins - again, may have been more but for injuries, but probably no title. Dovi got one win. General opinion was that they couldn't sort a bike, no development direction. But was the bike not good enough, or was it another case of good bike with unfulfilled potential? Then Stoner got on it, 10 wins in one season. So you would have to say that Pedrosa's work with the engineers was positive in producing a competitive bike, Honda just didn't have the rider to fulfill the potential. Had Stoner not gone there Lorenzo would have a second title, Pedrosa would be labelled again as someone who can't give direction to the team.

It's too easy to give credit to one person, usually the one with the highest profile. There is no doubt it is a team effort to hone a bike, but the lions share of the credit belongs to the design and engineering team. Most riders will be capable of telling them how the bike needs to behave, but ultimate responsibility to produce the competitive machinery rests with the engineers.

Too much credit goes to the rider as he is visible, the engineers are not a tangible entity, therefore no-one identifies with them.

Reply to this Topic
hurdyfurdy

Jul 12

hurdyfurdy says:

Sad but necessary

Like him or hate him, Valentino Rossi is a proud man who didn't get 9 world titles by being lucky or always having the best bike.  He's a supremely talented racer & proved that when he went to Yamaha. If you listen to other riders, they all say he hasn't forgotten how to win.   I'm convinced he would rather have stayed with Ducati & won another title on it thus becoming the only rider to do so on 3 different makes of bikes.  The fact that he gave that up shows me that he believes Ducati have some way to go to make their bike competitive & he feels he's too old to wait for them.  IMHO, Casey Stoner has as much talent & commitment as Vale but left Ducati saying they wouldn't fix the problems with the bike & expected him to ride round them. He was always saying the engineers didn't listen to him & I suspect Rossi & Burgess feel the same.

The Honda & Yamaha have moved on but the Duke now lags behind.  how much of this is due to their engineers dragging their heeels & how much them not knowing what needs done to cure it we can only guess.  The worry now is, if they don't make it competive soon, they might give up on MOTO GP & stick with WSB.   

I look orward to some excellent racing between Rossi & Lorenzo in 2013.

Stoner on the Ducati as a wild card would be superb but I reckon he wouldn't do it no matter what they offered him.

Reply to this Topic
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

Sounds like Bultoboy

just repeated Mary Spies tweet only as in a long drawn bunch o shit.

"Here is my personal opinion. We have fast motorcycle racers. We have good motorcycle racers. We have racers that crash alot but still bring in great results. We have talented riders. (those that ride with a plan and ride fast) we have racers that can build a bike and ride the bike ..to a point. We have racers that can get on the same bike and one can ride it better than the other. We have two in my lifetime of the past 20 years that built their bikes and got championships and in my mind I clearly feel they had fast bikes but were NOT the best or most talented rider. It was simply timing. There was no competition only because they were on the fastest bike not actually the better rider. One is retired and one should be retired. Have a nice day."

Reply to this Topic
Smackbum

Jun 11

Smackbum says:

Keeping on topic (just for laughs)

This is a good news story for all :-

Good for Valentino because his results at Ducati have been woeful

Good for Ducati because they can now spend the extra cash on the bike not the rider

Good for Yamaha because they get a proven race winner to partner Jorge

Good for Cal because he stays on the best performing satellite bike

Good for Andrea because he has proven he can adapt, so might be the missing link for Ducati

Good for Casey because in retrospect he did an unbelievable job putting the Ducati on the top of the podium at lease three times every season

Good for fans because more riders should be battling for the podium

It's all good ...... so don't get sucked in to side arguments that are actually meaningless

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices