General A Conundrum General

You are in... Forums > General > General > A Conundrum

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

seniorspanner

Jan 09

A Conundrum

Just read an article in the paper about "basic spec" cheap cars. The cheapest was the Suzuki Alto with 5 doors, ABS, airbags, and Stability control, alloy wheels, priced at £5995.

I tried to find Suzuki bikes  of "basic spec" with ABS and came up with the SFV650 ABS @£6099 and the Burgman 400 ABS @ £6399. Smaller engined comparable bikes did not come with ABS, so cannot be compared with the car. 

I understand the "benefits of scale " argument, but even so, this is pretty cheeky pricing to say the least!

Nearly forgot - its less to tax as well! :huh:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (13 August 2012 15:42)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

it does seem

that bikes aint the cheap alternative anymore.....crazy situation really, can't really see why bikes are as expensive as they are, as you say, 'pro rata' car manufacture?.....and cars :- cheaper tax, much better mpg, and most likely cheaper insurance...:mellow:

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

tax class....

i believe that the tax bracket for cars is split into groups dependant on their Co2 emmisssions.. the lower the emissions the lower the tax.. its also worked out on cc etc..

the tax goes from £0 to bout £400p/a for the likes of a V8 range rover etc..

bikes arent categorized in that way, as they cant hit the co2 targets in the same way as cars... so its a flat rate..

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

Conundrum

Bike manufactuers have missed a trick with the commuter market or just cheap biking. An oversight I think they may regret.

The only bikes that are genuinely cheap to run are the little 125's and possibly the 250's anything bigger and the cost seem to spiral. But these small capacity bikes are seriously expensive to buy, when you think a new cbr 125 is over three grand and Yamaha's sports 125 I think is about four grand you aren't really getting that much for your money when compared to cars.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Alto

The Suzuki Alto is built in India. That's why it's cheap.

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

eatcs01

Most bikes are now built in Thailand, Triumph and Honda to name just two.

Reply to this Topic
foxman

Aug 02

foxman says:

Look at it this way....

Suzuki Alto - top speed 96mph, 0-60 in 13.5 secs
Suzuki SFV650 - top speed 124mph, 0-60 3.7 secs

I know what would bring a bigger smile to me:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

there's cheap bikes....

out there.But most don't want to buy them.....how many of you bought an Honda, Kawasaki Yamaha or Suzuki 125 ....when what you really wanted was an Aprilia? Which one would you say was the closest to a Chinese bike in reality.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle