Skip to content

Ask an Expert stelvio and grossglockner passes Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > stelvio and grossglockner passes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

stelvio and grossglockner passes

looking to do both these passes on a two trip next year around june on a cruiser, looking for any tips on b&b, and other stuff to do while in area, any info really which would be usefull,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 August 2012 21:17)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Stelvio

I done this last month for the first time, it was fantastic. The quality of the road ain't exactly the best but the views are breathtaking.

I camped just outside Bormio, south of the Stelvio pass, but whatever you do book in advance because the areas surrounding the pass are packed!!

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Stelvio

I stayed in this hotel at the bottom of the Stelvio back in the late 80s and had a great time. You could 'park' your bike in a snow drift outside the bar at the top in July while enjoying the blazing sun...

http://www.posthoteltrafoi.it/en/welcome.html

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

thanks

for info frazmataz and dabbsy

Reply to this Topic
RoadTrekker

Sep 11

RoadTrekker says:

Grossglockner

Just got back from a quick 3 day ride to do Grossglockner and Campagolo passes. I live in Prague so I am much closer, it only took us 6 hours to get to Zell am See from Pargue taking our time on all the country back roads.

We stayed at a Sports Hotel in Bruck which is at the start of the Grossglockner pass from the North side. There are plenty of cheap hotels in Bruck much cheaper than in Zell Am See. I paid 30 quid for 1 night in a 4 star sports hotel with swimming pool restaurant and ample parking. The room was en suit with colour TV. 
The cost of Grossglockner pass has gone up to 20 euros for a motorbike and I would suggest that you go mid week as the passes are full of mad bikers at the weekend.
suggestions:
1. Ride From Bruck to Lienze over the Grossglockner pass.
2: Ride Lienze to Cortina great roads and sceanery.
3: Ride Cortina to Arabba very twisty and great fun
4: Ride Arabba to Brunico amazing road down in Campaglio
Generaly you will not have many problems with finding accomodation as the area is out of skiing season so not fully booked out. Prices vary between 30-50 quid a night.

have fun!!!

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

cheers road trekker

just the info i was after, will check out hotel you mentioned,

thanks for advice on doing it mid week,

and routes

atb honwal

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

stelvio

after first posting this, me and the missus have done the stelvio, with a trip in june and I would say If  you like a few twisties and are a confident rider no worries,  bit of a challenge and great views,

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices