Skip to content

Ask an Expert Need to turn the bike is small space. Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Need to turn the bike is small space.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

blokeinlondon

May 10

Need to turn the bike is small space.

Hi all. Anyone got any ideas on turning a triumph sprint around in tight space? 

Getting the bike in and out of a more an more  cluttered garage is becoming hard work. So much so that I am avoiding taking it out. I know that you can spin a motorbike around on the side stand but I am not keen on this as the bike is really heavy and I can easily see it landing on me. Also the weight being pulled onto the stand in fighting with the bike, must effect the sidestand. 
Can anyone suggest where I can get a reasonable price bike mover, trolly? busters had a paddock stand for £39 and I thought that this would do it as it had 4 wheels on it and the you tube video showed that the bikes really movable. The only thing is that as the bike as a single swing arm it does not look like it fits. Anyone with some words of wisdom?

If this fitted the sprint then I would be sorted.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 August 2012 00:58)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Got the same problem...

Right PITA turning my bikes around.  Do a 50-point turn to get the smaller bike around, the FJR - forget about it.  Only way to get that bastard out of the garage is reversing it out, which isn't that terribly fun but got used to it now.

Are you on a slope going in or out of the garage?  My garage is off onto a downward sloping drive, so I can pad it out and reverse the FJR that way.  If it's down and into your garage, maybe padding it backwards to the parking spot if best.

I don't like trying to spin it around on the side-stand either.

So I suppose the question is do you really need to turn it around?   Yes it's nice always riding it in, and riding it back out again, but can you get used to "taking it from the rear" :wink:

Gets easier the more you try it :lol:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Sprint

Reverse it in and ride it out, or vice versa. Or do you live on a hill??

Or, man up and spin it around on the side stand. It's more than strong enough.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Buy

Make or buy a turntable made for the job.

Log into Turn A Bike to see what I'm on about. (sorry can't get a link to the site) 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
blokeinlondon

May 10

It is on a bit of a hill..

But not that bigger hill.

The issue with reversing the bike out is that I have to squeeze through between a car and a wall. Therefore mounting and walking the bike through that bit is the only option.
I could spin it on the centre stand and thats what I do at the moment, but as I originally said I am  not keen on doing it. 
I will keep looking and if I find what I am after I will report back for others.
Thanks for the replies..

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

the side stand pivot

of what ive seen this is technique and not strength...............balance point n turn.................the last time i seen it done it was a 5ft 5 10stone jocky like lad spinning his r6, not a grunt or groan in sight:wink:  

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Buy

or make a turntable.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

try again..

max load 150kg

Biketek Deluxe, up to 500kg, £80

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

girly bike turner

There's plenty out there that do cope with more than 150kg.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices