Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale?

There's no denying most bikes sounds fairly poor with their restrictive standard exhaust systems and aftermarket exhausts help make them sound much better. But are some exhausts too loud, and should the be banned from sale? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 August 2012 10:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Having Loud pipes is good for...

waking up sleepy drivers, a simple blip of the throttle is enough to gain attention from all but the stone deaf in much the same way that your headlight makes you more visible to all but the Blind...... However,without repeated testing of other road users i'm afraid there will always be accidents caused by the lazy "S.M.I.D.S.Y.'S". The day Petrol fueled bikes are replaced by Ultra quiet Electric motors, is the day I stop riding Bikes.

Reply to this Topic
ghostmikey

Jun 12

ghostmikey says:

why RACE exhausts?

Why ban race exhauts when most road legal exhausts with baffles out are over the track sound limit. A race exhaust is made for track use and thus in conjunction with their sound regs, nowadays most road legal exhausts (especially some of the hong kong/SC engineering race exhausts) are louder by far than track exhausts.

Reply to this Topic
gooutgrinning

Mar 11

Race tracks

If you choose to live near a farm, expect noise and smells. If you choose to live near a race track, expect noise. The track was probably there before you! Race cans cannot be banned. Ridiculous. This is not France.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Race exhausts or not for road use exhausts?

They shouldn't be used on the road and with good reason:-

Harleys and Jap 4's, after the Vauxhall Corsa Halfords brigade, have to be the most irritating noises ever endured by the human ear. The second is a four stroke dirt bike with an akropovic.

Now fit them to a triple or a non USA  v-twin and they are the sweetest noise known to man after Katherine Jenkins.

Fitted to a 2 stroke and they become the song of an angel that that should be admired from outer space by alien life forms.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

kl595

Can I have some of the stuff you're on pls?.....LOL.

Reply to this Topic
europeben

Apr 12

europeben says:

A race exhaust is a race exhaust. An aftermarket can with a removeable baffle is something different. A race exhaust is not legal for road use, so by definition should not be used on the road. An aftermarket can with removable baffle is legal for use on the road, therefore by all means use them (I do). Remove the baffle for track days, thats also fine. Unless you ride a quad bike on the road with the baffle out. In which case, Go die.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

is "riding a quad bike" on the road, the same as riding an "adventure bike" on the road to the shops?

Reply to this Topic
andsetinn

Jul 12

andsetinn says:

I don't want to ban sales of race exhausts. Why? There are legal noise limits and if someone fits their bikes with exhausts over the limit they should be fined. But why should they not be allowed to buy shiny exhaust? There are (admittedly few) places where you can safely and legally use them. The myth that loud pipes safe lives has to my knowledge not been scientifically proved. But it is widely acknowledged that loud pipes create feelings of disapproval and resentment to the fellow motorcyclist.

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

Idea for the next poll....

What do you prefer...

Breathing in?

Breathing out?

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

preunit

It's just a knack I have for not taking anything too seriously. Enjoy today with a smile for tomorrow, it may all be gone :)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices