Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale?

There's no denying most bikes sounds fairly poor with their restrictive standard exhaust systems and aftermarket exhausts help make them sound much better. But are some exhausts too loud, and should the be banned from sale? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 August 2012 10:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

Err excuse me!!

We actually need race cans for racing, they're not designed for the road! just because all the road riders take the p1ss with loud cans doesnt mean people who race and ride on the track should suffer not being able to source a race can. ANYWAY - there is no possible way you can ban them. at all.

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Loud cans

Nothing quite says "Look at me , I am a prick" quite like a loud can . Why anyone would fit something that does nothing to enhance the riding experience but is just going to upset the public and give the police yet another excuse to pull you is beyond me . Instead of alienating everyone why not just wear a hi viz with a dick drawn on it. The message is the same.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

nigel966

Nothing quite says "Look at me - -- - ---- quite like a loud can". I agree but drawing a dick on a hi viz ?

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Looks like I started something with that Harley comment. I wasn't expecting so much agreement.

They are a dreadful din. thrapp, thrapp. Who could ever think they sound nice.

P.S.  I take back my comment about all Jap 4's. The crossplane crank R1 sounds gorgeous with carbon Akropovics fitted. Probably the only Jap inline 4 to sound nice. 

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Snev

Fair point. I guess a hi viz is a bit extreme but the point still is valid, Most of them ride complete heaps and cant even ride that well. They seem to compensate for their lack of skills by being as obnoxious as they can by making a lot of noise. Just proves the old saying..... An empty vessel makes the loudest sound.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Not sure why some are giving Harley's some stick, low revving V twins aren't offensive, its the bell ends on IL4's who scream through 30mph zones giving us the bad name!! greased up bikers on harley's don't get a second glance from mrs dorris as they rumble past at 30 mph... Nowt worse than an inline 4 being ridden by a dreamer....

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@rseholes

Here in the US, a lot of Harley’s would not be allowed on a race track because they are too loud. Many of them must be having unburned fuel go off in the exhaust, since they make the painfully load “crack” similar to a race car that runs really rich just off idle. The worst part is you will get a group of weekend warriors who will “warm” their engines for 10+ minutes, then rev them at every stop sign and red light. Cops generally let them get away with it (no way you would not get ticketed on a sport bike that loud) too. : (

Normally I am against cagers running motorcycles over, but I would not cry if some of these anti-social idiots were taken out.

As for loud pipes mostly annoying people following, I make it a point to keep ahead of these morons (not hard, since Harley’s are slow), and not let them in front of me.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Rogerborg

LRN 2 PHYSICS! or Stop being such a troll.

Reply to this Topic
multimark

Jun 09

multimark says:

Race Exhausts

Yes Lads & Lasses, we have some lovely toys between us (V twins and Japs) and we want to get noticed, BUT we can also be a pain in the ass for those of differing views. Some are jealous, some are stuck up, some are just downright hostile. They all however have a voice along with their opinion and if that voice leaves us in a minority we have to be sensible to continue to get the freedoms we desire. Think, foxhunting, shooting, "dangerous" dogs etc. all those fraternities have lost freedoms by not attending to converting rather than appeasing the masses and using effective PR rather than shouting louder and complaining harder after the damage is done. We have to be sensible, LOOK fast, mean, cool, aggressive, and BE all of them but just loud, come-on. I do ride a bike with modded exhausts (990 SMT) it is a blend of the above and not offensive yet to anyone Ive met. M

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Open ended question

Please define what is too loud. Some systems do take the proverbial but other non road legal system when used with consideration are ok.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices