Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should race exhausts be banned from sale?

There's no denying most bikes sounds fairly poor with their restrictive standard exhaust systems and aftermarket exhausts help make them sound much better. But are some exhausts too loud, and should the be banned from sale? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 August 2012 10:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

NO

Don't be stupid and next question please.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Yes

Clearly if a small percentage of the population use something in a criminal or anti-social manner, it should be outlawed to protect the greater good.  So race exhausts - banned.  Make the legislation reto-active as well, and covering cars too.  This is how we protect society from those who are irresponsible and think everyone needs to hear their cock-compansator coming.
And of course, we should  not stop there.  Many more items are on sale which are put to destructive use.  Hunting/diving knives for example.  Little need for those in the UK and more are used in crime, ban them outright.
Ski masks.  Again, not much call for these in the UK so posessing them should be illegal.  They are only rreally used by terrorists afterall.
Breaking-bars simply encourage criminal activity.
Hammers, screwdrivers etc have all been used in crimes; these should also be removed from sale to protect society.
Only when the government has protected us from all potential ills  can we consider them to be doing the job we pay them form.

Clearly I am not being serious.  The answer is to simply stop being a dick.  And if you act like a dick in front of plod, man-up and take it.  You were being a dick after all.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

It's Not The Exhaust...

It's not the exhaust which causes annoyance, it's how it's used. Almost any bike can cause noise nuisance and a sports exhaust can also be used with some consideration. Carry on like this and they might as well ban any motor vehicle which can exceed 70mph as well. But you don't HAVE to speed and you don't HAVE to ride a bike in an anti-social manner. Race exhausts should not be banned from sale.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Bob 1

Whats the point in buying a noisy exhaust then try to ride quietly? Its like buying a gun but never using it to shoot anything or anyone. People who buy noisy pipes do so to make more noise, otherwise, theres no point in buying one! And then, when you say race exhausts should not be banned from sale, you are basically contradicting yourself.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

@SatNavSteve

I have a loud stereo - I don't crank it to 11 all day and all night.
I don't start mowing the lawn at 2200.
I don't do heavy DIY after 2000 either.
Basically - I try not to be a dick (not sure if I always succeed in that).

Race exhausts do have uses; that would be racing.  So if you ban the sale of race exhausts in the UK, you effectively ban (or restrict at the very least) racing in the UK.  If you add replacement exhausts into the mix, they are often bought for the difference in tone, looks, weight or to fix some running issue caused by other modifications; you effectively ban/restrict customisation in the UK.

We don't ban the sale of stereos, guns, mowers or power tools; we do however have laws that we use to cover their misuse.  Why are exhausts any different?  Why are you so keen to restrict freedom?

Reply to this Topic
Biter

May 12

Biter says:

Riders not the Bikes

Having lived for many years on a well known bike route between Mkt Harborough and Billesdon in Leicestershire I can say hand on heart it is not the bike but the riders that are at issue. There seems to be a few people here that do not like Harleys/custom type motocycles with straight pipes, but I do not remember them being an issue on a quiet Sunday for the 5 years I lived there. Sports bikes at very high rpm for long durations on the other hand are another matter! Sport bikes over taking through villages, pulling wheelies out of villages and genrerally  being anti social were a major problem. Many seem to ride as if they are taking part in an extreme sport or the isle of man TT.  People just need to ride with greater consideration for others.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Contradiction? Don't think so.

SatNavSteve says: "Whats the point in buying a noisy exhaust then try to ride quietly? .......... you are basically contradicting yourself." 

Let me put it another way then. I use my road-legal bikes in competition at top speed meetings, usually on airfield runways. One of the standard modifications, which reduces weight and increases power, is to change the exhaust system. Yes it does increase the noise but it is possible to ride the bike on the public roads in a considerate manner. I don't think that's a contradiction.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
PandaPop

Jun 12

PandaPop says:

Loud pipes save lives!

And i have proved the fact to many time to remember comuting in to London, instead of teh brain dead lemmings just walking out from behind a bus ect with a loud pipe you'll notice that they actually look first.

and as has been said already their are times when would you ride quitely if I come home at silly o'clock i come up teh road rather sheepishly compared to when i come home in the afternoon.  

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I think you guys have misunderstood me. The vast majority of people who buy race pipes buy them to make more noise on public roads. Putting them on competition bikes is all well and good and if you have been to a MOTO GP meeting as I have done, you will know the meaning of noise. I've had lots of noisy pipes in the past and I'm not in favour of a ban on them or anything else bike related for that matter, but theres a time and a place for these things and a lot of people don't take that into account. As for Bob 1, you could buy a pipe with replaceable baffles when you are on public roads and then you don't have to worry about being anti-social!

Reply to this Topic
4jimbo4

Jun 12

4jimbo4 says:

loud pipes save lives

nuff said. be seen, be heard

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle