Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How do I learn to wheelie? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How do I learn to wheelie?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How do I learn to wheelie?

I've been motorcycling for years and I'm in my forties. I've always wanted to wheelie a bike and have tried a few times but my efforts usually result in lots of revs and not a lot of height. Is there a trick I'm missing? Some golden rules I don't know about? Or perhaps I should go to a wheelie school? Your...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 August 2012 11:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
krustchoff

Feb 11

krustchoff says:

wheelie

get a loan of a dt175 or something similar, a we trials bike would be ideal and practice on it as its a bit lighter and easier to control when thing go wrong, practice practice and let a little air out your rear to give you a bigger contact patch and help your balance.once you learn to get it up and hold it balanced then you can move on. to something with a bit more  pop.

Reply to this Topic
krustchoff

Feb 11

krustchoff says:

wheelie

get a loan of a dt175 or something similar, a we trials bike would be ideal and practice on it as its a bit lighter and easier to control when thing go wrong, practice practice and let a little air out your rear to give you a bigger contact patch and help your balance.once you learn to get it up and hold it balanced then you can move on. to something with a bit more  pop.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Krustchoff

"practice practice and let a little air out your rear to give you a bigger contact patch and help your balance.once you learn to get it up and hold it..." ??? What about the whip? Between this and the Stoner/Rossi posts. I haven't laughed so much since my mate dropped his bike in the pub car park.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

AdieR

"getting it up can be one thing, getting it down something else: getting it wrong can result in a tankslapper" Ah yes, had many a bitch over the tank!

Reply to this Topic
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

one thing

learn away form the public road, dont be another a*sehole that gives us all a bad name. AWAY FORM THE PUBLIC HIGHWAY!!!! and its a cheap trick anyway, why not spend time on riding instead rather than shagging you chain / sprockets and head bearings....not to mention fork seals.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

Get a cheap bike, go to somewhere with no cars like an empty car park and learn to wheelie at low speeds in first or second gear. You will most likely crash a few times while learning and it's much better to do it on a cheap bike at 10-20mph rather than on a 6K+ bike at 60+... I learnt the hard way and it took me 3 years of no bike to save up for a new one cus I had to pay the finance off on the one I crashed and the Insurance didn't pay out.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Wheelie

According to a Ducati Panigale rider I met, the easiest way to do wheelies is to ride a Ducati 1198 (why he traded up/in).

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Back wheel sir...

Pull off.  Accelerate reasonably hard, then roll off throttle (don't brake) as forks compress wait for the rebound - as they rebound accelerate hard - don't change gear.  Your wheel will be in the air.  Use back brake to feather and control the wheelie.  Roll off gently to put the nose back down again until the wheel touches.   It took me a while to learn this so be patient.  If all else fails, pull the clutch in, take it to 10,000 revs and let go of the clutch.  You will be on your back in less than a second but you'll pull off an almighty wheelie.  In other words - learn from a school and not forums... or a mate!

Reply to this Topic
PandaPop

Jun 12

PandaPop says:

1st gear about walking pace, pullin in the clutch and rev the tits off the bike then dump the clutch.....

make sure you have someone on hand to film the impending carnage then post up your results.

disclaimer: for all the numpties out their do not follw this advise as it will only end up in tears.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Wheelies

I've posted a few times how to to loft the front. This link is one of the last times:-

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=430993&message-id=4654257&__ia=message4654257#message4654257

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle