Skip to content

Ask an Expert NIP speeding ticket more than 14 days after just bought my bike before dvla had changed keeper help! Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > NIP speeding ticket more than 14 days after just bought my bike before dvla had changed keeper help!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mrmeerkat

Jun 06

mrmeerkat says:

NIP speeding ticket more than 14 days after just bought my bike before dvla had changed keeper help!

Hi, there i bought my new bike and rode back to sheffield from brighton. got flashed on empty road, dual carriageway).
i bought the bike that day sunday 8/7/12. i assume they sent a letter to the previous keeper as he would've had to post the logbook over etc so for a few days before dvla had me registered as owner.
i have now recieved the NIP dated 8/8/12 one month after the offence.
will i be able to get it annulled as it is over 14 days? if so how do i go about doing this?
any help much appreciated!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 August 2012 12:21)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Doubt it

They sent it to the registered keeper (as far as they knew) as of the time of the offence and within 14 days. Presume he advised of change when he got it so now it's with you.

Bet there's a get-out for them anyhow for vehicles sold, similar to hire cars where they only have to advise the hire company. 

Would suggest you remove the confession above as well, better to put was flashed without the speed possibly? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

NIP

If was down to you then just take the points.  There's little point is clutching at straws in looking for a technicality as a way of getting off.   

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Generally

DVLA advise up to 4 weeks wait for a new logbook - I would have thought that the "Road Safety" partnerships will have a contingency plan in place for these circumstances (they'll be getting vehicle details from DVLA).

There was a scam some time back where tickets were being sent out, and one person was "blaming" another for the speeding offence in order to cause extensive investigations and so as to cause a "timeout" (ie, because a prosecution hadn't been brought in a given time, RSP's were forced to drop the case); they tend to hammer down on these ideas like this pretty quickly.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

14 day rule

the 14 days only applies to the original NIP if this was sent to the previous keeper (as it is likely he was the RK at the time according to DVLA's records) then they have done what is required.

The police can then take their time finding out who the driver was i think they have up to 6 months to do this. 

Reply to this Topic
ACIC

Apr 06

ACIC says:

speeding

Unfortunately for you this is not a loophole. They can pursue you.  Regards, Andrew Campbell, Bikelawyer Motorcycle Accident Solicitors, MCN Legal Expert.

www.bikelawyer.co.uk  

Reply to this Topic
mrp192

Mar 08

mrp192 says:

NIP's

I believe they now have 14 days from when they reasonably found out the details of the rider/driver but has to be within the 6 months time limit.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices